Logo

Trolling motor swap

gfa1964

Just bought a 16 ft 1981 Bass Tracker with a 40 hp Merc and the original Motorguide Basshawg trolling motor. I think it is a 28lb thrust. I have a newer Motorguide 40lb thrust that I would like to swap it out with but the plugs are very different. Both are 12 volt motors. Is it as simple as swapping out the receptacles, or is there more involved. Thanks for any replies in advance.

easier and probably cheaper to cut the wires on the motor and just replace the plug...they are sold at most boat parts places and i have saw them at walmart..if its a used motor i would make sure it turns good under power before going to the trouble of mounting it...the motor i am running now is a 40 lb motor guide...the only problem i have had with it is the micro switch has a plastic cover on it...the plastic goes over the operating button...it wears through and the motor gets intermittent when you press the pedal...there is not enough room in the mounting holes to adjust the switch...there is a hole in the pedal thats just deep enough to cut a dowel to the right length and it will work forever...my dowel is a piece of willow limb that i added 12 years ago when boat was in the water..the other problem with some trolling motors is they get water in the foot and rust takes over and you have a real mess..thats the reason i say check it before mounting...

It's actually currently mounted on another smaller boat I have and been used quite a bit. Thanks for all the helpful info!

In the process of doing the swap. Unwrapped the tape from the plugs, and on the older motor 2 wires to running to the plug. On the newer motor, also 2 wires coming out. However when they ran it to the plug they separated each lead into 2 halves as the plug has 4 prongs on it. So I have a red lead with 2 ends and a black lead with 2 ends. Is it ok to reverse the process on both plugs so it wil match the receptacles? Thanks!

Back