Logo

Slow the idle down???

herdbull2

I have a 31 Tiara with twin Marine Power throttle body injected 350's in it. I troll for walleye and salmon on the Great lakes. I need speeds of 1 mph to 3.5 mph.

With one engine shut off completely and the remaining engine pulled all the way back at idle, I am trolling WAY WAY too fast. So, my temporary sollution was trolling bags. Even with 3 huge 44 inch bags in the water, I can't achieve walley trolling speeds.

Can someone advise me on how to adjust the idle on these throttle bodies to slow that ole girl down?

Many thanks,

Herdbull

If the engines are at spec idle, I would suggest not lowering it....not good for the engine.

I'd say you have two options - lower the pitch on the props or see if you can get "trolling valves" installed on your gears...

Thanks. That isn't the answer I was hoping for, but thank you for the info. Anybody want to buy a couple of Marine Power Throttle Body injected 350's?

Do you have hydraulic trim tabs? If so put them all the way down, and try it! If not, now maybe the time to get some.

Back to Makomark's first comment. "If the engines are at spec idle." How do I determine if they are at spec Idle? I like to start here. Any advice?

If TBI, as Makomark stated, the idle speed is preset, and shouldn't be messed with. Do you have hydraulic trim tabs, IMO, that's your best option.

An engine that idles too low may suffer with regard to inadequate splash lubrication...... I.E., piston wrist pins, piston rings, cylinder walls, camshaft drive system, camshaft lobes, distributor/oil pump drive gears, etc.

I agree...... find another propulsion means, or try using your TT's.

An engine that idles too low may suffer with regard to inadequate splash lubrication...... I.E., piston wrist pins, piston rings, cylinder walls, camshaft drive system, camshaft lobes, distributor/oil pump drive gears, etc.

I agree...... find another propulsion means, or try using your TT's.

You don't want your gas engine spending long periods at idle. It causes condensation in the exhaust and is generally bad on the wallet. Why not consider fit a trolling outboard on a drop down outboard bracket. It would be a useable safety engine as well (although with a twin engine set-up it doesn't buy much more security).

Back to Makomark's first comment. "If the engines are at spec idle." How do I determine if they are at spec Idle? I like to start here. Any advice?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Lots of advice, Lets start with, What's it idle at Now,..??

Back