Logo

35hp evinrude bucks on the water

scottklaw

" My 35hp 83' evinrude run

" My 35hp 83' evinrude runs great, idles perfect and shows no signs of a bad carb. When I am on the water and plane up above trolling speed, the engine bucks or shudders as if I hit something every so often on a regular basis. The engine does not loose power or faulter in performance. When I drop back to trolling speed it does not occur. I ran her for three hours on idle and checked for any "easy" to identify problems. Any help would be great.

smk "

"Scott..... Your engine is jum

"Scott..... Your engine is jumping out of gear, then jumping back into gear. This creates a feeling that you are hitting something every so often. If you're using remote controls, you may have them misadjusted whereas the engine is not engaging forward gear completely.

However, the problem is usually caused by the lobes on the shifter dog and the lobes on forward gear being worn (rounded off). This (the rounding off) is usually caused by boaters shifting slowly, thinking they are taking it easy on the shifting components. In reality, they are allowing the lobes I mentioned hit many times before engaging properly which causes the damage.

Joe
"

" I just bought a 16' Grum

" I just bought a 16' Grumman with the same 1983 35HP Evinrude and the bucking happens only when at high RPM, though I had a dealer do a tune-up. The seller said the OMC shifting mechanism is new at the console. The seller mentioned the problem and said there is a "dog"- something causing the problem in the lower end. Your saying it is in the shifter, not the engine? Why are "Scottklaw" and I having the same issue with the same engine? Why is not as common as the OMC shifter? "

Back