Logo

new boat owner who needs advise....batteries

Ken Brimage

Hello again everyone,

I am a new boat owner and I would like to purchase 4 new marine deep cycle batteries for my boat. I have no clue what batteries i should purchase. I read a thread were someone said they have 31 c batteries. my boat has a nice stero with amps, a small flat screen tv, strip lights all over, a electric dual trolling motor...o yea, a cb.....i have been searching and i see batteries priced from $450 to $112. but they are the same size. they all have a 200 min reserve....what should i base my decision on when i make my battery purchases? THANK YOU.....:cool:

You will have one battery for the engine start only and another one or two deep cycle for ships battery ie all the other things you need like sterio and what have you, bilge pump and lights. Find out what size alternator you have. Then go see a good battery shop, guys who know batteries and such. Good Marine shop or Battery shop. They will recommend good deep cycles. If you have a 50 amp alternator in a perfect world it will take one hour to give you 50 amps, however the charge rate is not that efficient unless you have a high out put alternator and that gets into a new region.
Change both deep cycles not just one. Balmar made in Seattle made a good unit alternator if you have to go that way also. Many good spots on line to read up on alts and batts ... happy cruising...

Capti'n Squid...thank you for the advice..i had no clue on the battery to buy or even how to go about looking for them. The way you explained it, i understand, i can tell you have a merc 3.7 i/o 470....it has a conversion kit for the chargeing system...its off a chevy marine motor, i dont know the chargeing amperage, but i wil find out and buy accordingly....I plan on changeing all 4 batteries....so i will get them tomorrow......thanks again:cool:

It sounds as if you have it now well in hand and with Kimcrwbrt and chawk_man with well added comments. I was 30 years in Vancouver working in the marine trades, now inland not far from Lake Ontario. Have a great boating season..

Thanks for all your help guys....im not sure if everything was working well, i just purchased the boat. i just replace even if they are new...it will start and everything comes on so far, i dont want to be a hour into my trip and then i have issues.......the volt meter...yes, i have just purchased a real time volt meter and im not installing it, a marine mechanic i trust is installing it.....so hopefully that helps......and yes, i am going to start this weekend as far as the electrical system...sanding, cleaning and inspecting....well my mechanic and I....hes going to show me what to look for and im going to go through it with him.....I feel part of the pleasure of owning a boat, house, car....Doing your own up keep....its pleasure, its pain,,,but its all mine, like love....lol....thanks a million guys....:cool:

I hope so capt! Either way it goes, imma have something....i think I have done all my checks and got all the info i need to have a great season....i dont feel you can have a bad boating season...you can have a expensive season with alot of repairs and mistakes....but its the love of boating that keeps us going...If you did not love it, you wouldent do it....!!!!!!!!! HAVE A GREAT BOATING SEASON EVERYONE AND ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU!

Ken:p

Back