Logo

Steering cable question

joegfish

I am trying to swap my motor on my boat. I have a 60 HP Johnson and I need to remove the steering cable to remove motor. How do I get it through the motor end?? Do I have to disconnect it at steering wheel first?? The cable is good. It's the actual motor that is bad. Have a new one ready to go on but can't get this silver rod out of engine and don't want to get too physical and break something.

Thank you!

-Joe

Thanks guys. LOL!! So being the Neanderthal that I am I moved it to the left but it wasn't quite enough so I did end of having to manually lift the motor off to get it the rest of the way out. While I was feeling so strong I went ahead and picked up the 70 HP motor, to replace the 60, and got it mounted and back on the boat and bolted down. I figure if I jump around a bit my fellas may fall back to their original position!! LMAO!!!!

:) I am too impatient to wait til tomorrow for the motor lift. This motor issue has kept me off the water 2 weeks in a row. There will not be a 3rd!!!

All of that is good. Motor was completely rebuilt about 2 years ago and has about 20 hrs on it. I have total confidence in the guy that gave it to me. He is a master mechanic and has a few race cars that he runs. When we went to see it, he told me he hadn't run it in 6 months. When we turned the key, it fired up on 3rd turn and sounded like a champ. Gonna run it here at the house for a bit tomorrow and test it with a load at a little private lake close by.

FYI, my 60 has a lot of work to be done. All 3 cylinders have to be bored and need 3 new pistons. When I did the math on the 50:1 I did it right however when I wrote it down I swapped the values. To say I was running lean is a huge understatement.

Thanks for the tips. I sure will!

Kim, I can't thank you enough. You have been very vocal to both of my threads. People like you are what make great forums!!

Back