Logo

Steering Cable Replacement - were to buy and what to order ????

Redbrand

I have a older pontoon houseboat with a old tower 75 Merc with stuck steering cable. I am going to replace it.
My questions is once I pull it out what the heck do I need to order?? Most certain there will be no part number on it. I will only
have the lenght I need and what the two ends look like. I have seen the Teleflex ones on line but have no dang'd idea which one
I will need other than its length. Thanks with any help with guys - never been down this road before but job looks real easy.
I am also going to be changing out this motor to a Yamaha and have been told the new replacment cable should work on the diff motor.

Question help needed:

1) Once I pull out steering cable how to do I know what to order to replace it ?
2) What s good place on-line to order it ?
3) Should it work with a different motor if motor is changed out. (universal cable ??)

Once again thanks for any help with this !!! Hate to order something that won't work 10 times over!!

Redbrand - Hot Springs , AR

Ayuh,.... Generally speakin', when the Cable is Shot, the Helm ain't far from it,...

Get yerself a Helm, 'n Cable Kit, in the length ya need to replace the whole shebang,...

'n, Ya, the motor end is the same,...

Since I am new to this all I presume the helm means the steering wheel and assy ? Or refering the to the motor end on the steering.

FYI - this is a rotary system from what I have been told - not a rack n pinon....

Thanks for the U tube I will look at asap.

I am planning to pull the old cable out very soon. Its in my boat slip and work will have to be done while boat is in the water. Not a project to be doing in Winter
time !!!!:eek:

Since I am new to this all I presume the helm means the steering wheel and assy ? Or refering the to the motor end on the steering.

FYI - this is a rotary system from what I have been told - not a rack n pinon....

Thanks for the U tube I will look at asap.

I am planning to pull the old cable out very soon. Its in my boat slip and work will have to be done while boat is in the water. Not a project to be doing in Winter
time !!!!:eek:

Ayuh,... The Helm is the thingy the wheel mounts too,....

To pull the wheel,...
Pop the center cap off, 'n loosen the nut, so's it's dead flush with the shaft,...
Sit in yer seat, 'n push as hard as ya can, with yer knees/ legs, Upward on the wheel,....
Then WACK the nut good, 'n hard,...
The wheel should pop off the taper at that point,...
If not, do it again,...

Back