Logo

Which Boat to repair

Vampirical Rose

I have a 1988 Stingray 198 LX that needs the floor replaced as well as the engine cover replaced and and new power transplant. Overall I like the shape and design of the boat it just looks fast.

I also have a 1986 Wellcraft Classic 200 XI that needs the floor replaced and more interior work then the stingray to be done. The boat itself doesnt seem bad but it has a generic shape there is nothing that stands out about it.

My plan was to take the power plant from the Wellcraft a 5.7 Mercruiser with a alpha 1 drive and put it into my Stingray taking all the little nick nacks to make my stingray complete. As i had them both sitting next to each other I started to wonder which would be the best one to actually fix up.

If you guys could share your opinions an make any suggestions I would appreciate it. Both boats cannot stay so i have to choose one to fix and one to be a parts boat later to be sold as a shell or given away to someone who wants there own project.

Its obvious you like the SeaRay best. Check the hulls for blisters, gelcoat problems and dryrot in the transoms and stringers, particularly around the motor mounts! Upholstrey work is expensive (I can't do it myself), but repowering is a pain, unless you have a good shop with a crane. The SeaRay "books" higher than the Wellcraft, which give you a little more room at resale, and you will sell it at some point! :)

I have a 1988 Stingray 198 LX that needs the floor replaced as well as the engine cover replaced and and new power transplant. Overall I like the shape and design of the boat it just looks fast.

I also have a 1986 Wellcraft Classic 200 XI that needs the floor replaced and more interior work then the stingray to be done. The boat itself doesnt seem bad but it has a generic shape there is nothing that stands out about it.

My plan was to take the power plant from the Wellcraft a 5.7 Mercruiser with a alpha 1 drive and put it into my Stingray taking all the little nick nacks to make my stingray complete. As i had them both sitting next to each other I started to wonder which would be the best one to actually fix up.

If you guys could share your opinions an make any suggestions I would appreciate it. Both boats cannot stay so i have to choose one to fix and one to be a parts boat later to be sold as a shell or given away to someone who wants there own project.

Ayuh,.... They're both old enough to believe yer gonna be replacin' not only the deck, but the stringers, 'n transom as well,...
Boats, Rot from the bottom up,...

That said, it's Yer choice,... Whichever 1 ya like, 'n think will best fit yer needs,...

Back