Logo

fuel gauge

kunbarrie

Contributing Member
the fuel gauge is not working correctly,turn key on and needle flicks straight to full,gauge is ok,tried to find tank unit[under floor 200ltr]now this tank was installed then floor glassed over it,with no inspection hole to accses sender unit,tried to push remote camera along wire,but am stopped by a wooden beam,how can i find right spot without cutting up the whole floor.?

the wire going to the sender could be grounded...i would put a meter on it and if it reads ground i would cut it a couple inches from where it goes into the compartment with the tank...i would want to eliminate the fact that the problem may is under the dash or etc...you can always re solder the wire....

Agree that you need to eliminate all possibility the problem is in the wiring before cutting holes in the deck. If your boat manufacturer is still in business, try to get a diagram of exactly where the sender is located.

i agree kincrwbr1 with the entry you made...i just put in what i would try...why they build a boat like that is beyond me....i re carpeted my aluminum boat a couple years ago and they had wrapped the carpet around every piece of aluminum in it..looked nice but i ended up with a bucket full of screws and i dont know how many pieces of the boat on the floor...and it was designed where i had to do the same thing with the new carpet...a weekend project ended up with the boat torn up for 2 months..and to get to the wiring under the console is another almost impossible task...why no service plate on the side or even in front of the console??..and these people been building boats forever...

had a auto electrician inspect wireing,2 wires go to tank unit,one is the signal wire the other has ignition voltage when key on,suspect trouble in dash unit or wireing .

247 ohms for empty and 33 for full.....if you cut the pink wire and read from the pink wire(the wire going to the sender) to ground you should read somewhere in this range depending on how much gas is in the tank...that is why i asked if the meter is pegging or just reading full...if the wire is grounded with no resistance then the meter will peg...if the tank is full then you still have the 33 ohms in a working system and the meter will just read full..

checked the wireing against the pics,found that it had ignition to the sender unit then back to ground on gauge,and ignition to+ on gauge,so reconected as per pics,fitted new gauge,ignition on needle empty,bridge wires on sender goes to full,had an old sender here from an old car,hooked it up ignition on,gauge goes up and down when moveing float,so both units faulty,now have to cut up floor to find sender.

ok, used a video snake camera,to locate,took awhile but could see the coloured terminals on the 2 wires,took a guess where the position was,3inch hole saw cut,then found i was 2 inches out,another hole right on top,5 screws came out 1 broke,sender is a VDO australia 6/24volt.adjustable,ordered one from local instrument supplier,now just have to remove broken stud,

Back