Logo

1990 Javelin 366FS new prop

MrRodeoCC

I have a 1990 Javelin 366FS (1100 lbs empty) with an Evinrude 120 v4 looper currently running a 13.5 by 21 stainless 3 blade prop. Engine reaches 6500rpm at wot and 45mph just takes a bit to get out of the hole, the nose goes up high and seems like the motor struggles for a bit then finally pulls out then hold on its off to the races. I'm looking for better holeshot, I dont need all the speed, but it would be nice to not lag so much getting out of the hole. Would a 4 blade prop at 13 by 19 or even smaller pitch do better? Also after reading many posts, it seems that stainless props drop rpm more than aluminum, is that due to the props weight/rotating mass? If I didnt have to worry about stumps and logs I'd go with aluminum. Can I buy an aluminum prop and test and then buy a stainless of the same diameter and pitch without sacrificing more rpm? Just looking for answers from the experianced people here.

Thanks, Jody

If your tachometer is correct you need to go to more pitch, not less !---------Also if the nose comes up really high you need to trim in more for a proper " hole shot" on this boat.

i have a 91 javelin 363 with the same motor. i had the same problem. i put a hydrofoil on it and it worked great. i know a couple of people that has javelins and they do the same thing. i think it is the way the boat is made.

Back