Logo

Coil Help

earlbuddy

Regular Contributor
The coil on my '66 Evinrude 80hp has cracks and looks like someone put epoxy on it. I would like to replace. It's part #379569. It is available on MarineEgines.com but it's $160. Any cheaper alternatives?
Thanks

are you having problems because of the coil?the original shellac or varnish or whatever they dip them in will crack over time...it has been my experience the problem occurs when they get moisture in them..they may look like hell but are ok dry..thats probably the reason someone slapped epoxy or whatever on it....if you are having problems your choice is to pay the price or look around for a used one off a scrap engine..its probably going to have at a minimum some hairline cracks...if not you could slap some varnish on the one you have and run it....and look around and check ebay for a replacement...160 bucks is a good price on a new one btw...

I haven't started it yet. Waiting for fuel pump parts. Previous owner took apart and two springs missing and ripped diaphragm. Just noticed the coil cracks and started looking for a replacement just in case. Thanks for your help.

Back