Logo

Engine identification help

jonc1438

I am new to this forum and looking for some advice. I have bought a 1987 Albemarle with a GM 5.7 and Volvopenta 290DP outdrive.
The outdrive seems to be original but the engine has been replace but I do not have records of when or with what type engine. I have about half of the service records but not much on engine. I am trying to identify what I have.
Here is what I know.

Stamped on block port side " GM 5.7" Stamped on block starboard side "14093638" My searching says this is a pre-vortec 1987-1995 block
It came with a spark arrestor cover that was by "Marine Power" hence the post here
Manifolds are Osco 5805 Risers are Osco 56879
Plugs are BR6FS NGK
It is FW cooled using an Inmar 685001-1 pump drawing water from outdrive
Has a Rochester Quadrojet Carb.

I attached a pic if it helps

Seems to run great but the water temperature gauge is not working and I tested the sending unit. It has over 4000 ohms so I suspect it is bad and I need a replacement. I would like an engine ID to make it easier.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Jon

Attachments

• albe3.jpg
    albe3.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 63
If you don't have the OEM serial number, further searching isn't likely to be of benefit...especially if the block you have was a rebuilt one.

that said, many of the maintenance items are available from many sources.

If all you need is the temp sensor, it is the GAUGE info that matters, not the engine. two items matter, which "standard" they use and single or dual station (helm) operation. Once there, all you need to do is select the thread size of the port and you are done.

So, how many helms are on your boat and who made the gauges ??

Thanks for the help.
I only have one helm and the gauges are new Teleflex.
I tested the gauge and it seems to work as specified.

I am not sure what you mean by "standard" since i am new to this.

The hole in the starboard side of the block for the sending unit is well over 1/2" and has a reducer in it. The sending unit is a little over 1/2" and screwed into that reducer.

The wire to the gauge is light brown and held on by a screw on the top of the sending unit.

I have not taken the sending unit out yet but that is my next step. I just want to know what I was working with before I took it out

Thank again for all the help.

Jon

Standard refers to the convention used by the gauge maker...teleflex uses the "US Standard" so that makes life pretty easy. Ditto for the singgle helm...(power on the gauge and having a 110 ohm resistor between the S terminal and ground should move the needle to the mid point of the gauge).

The sender units are sized by their threads which are typically taper pipe thread (NPT sizes)...these do not directly correlate to what you can measure (diameter).

You can use the boat engine parts link at the top of the page to see what is readily available...the sierra parts catalog has most everything you would need.

Back