Logo

Not going anywhere fast my 150 hp Johnson Motor Dies (HELP)

KWT

My 1989 Johnson outboard motor 150 hp. VRO with 3 carbs will run great at 3500 RPM, But at 4200 or over it will run about a mile and die. It will start right back up and it will run fine at 3500 RPM but if I push it back up to 4200 RPM it dies.:(

probably not enough fuel flow to keep up with gas requirements at higher rpm?does it suck the bulb flat?if so then the problem is either back towards the tank or the bulb itself...change the filter(s)?.....how old are the hoses...possible fuel pump...what size are the hoses?....if you have the original external hoses then it time to change them anyway with running e10...make sure you put in 3/8 and not 1.4 diameter hoses...and get good gasoline hoses designed for e10...not the black ones from a any old hardware store...

It doesn't suck the bulb flat at all. We changed the filters. The hoes are old and I will have to look at the size tomorrow but from what we can see and try it doesn't seem to be fuel. we though that also at first. took it out again this afternoon does the same runs great at 35 to 3800 RPM for as long as I want. Pushed it up to 42 to 4500 RPM it will run about a mile and stop. You can restart it right away no problem and go again and it will run fine at 35 to 3800 RPM push up to 42 to 4500 and it will go about a mile and quite. Any ideas.

Back