Logo

Yamaha XLT 1200 LTD - Fuel Tank seems too big to come out of hatch

DeepThought

OK so no good deed goes unpunished and a friend has a 2002 XLT 1200 LTD waverunner - been stood a while and the fuel is crappy - carbs have been stripped and rebuilt so I figured good to pull the tank and flush it properly....

Motor still in place but the front hatch is big and access is good....(Or is it?)

Straps came off easy, as did filler hose and fuel sender and was able to syphon out most the old gas - lovely deep yellow color :eek: (Joke was that the last time he saw a liquid that color, they had to shoot the Horse)

Now the tank looks about the same width as the front hatch but whatever I do I cant get the thing out seems about 1/4 inch too big whichever way I turn it - spun it sideways, same thing.

I can't believe they would make a tank too big to remove that way and the only option is to rip off the exhaust, driveshaft etc. and pull the engine to get the tank out.

Is there something I'm missing :confused:

No, I'm not missing anything - someone at Yamaha needs a lesson in serviceability as a factor in the design process, it is physically 10mm too big whichever way it is turned.

Ended up packing wood under it to bring it up to hatch level and used a brass syringe type pump to suck the last of the fuel out, emptied half a can of carb cleaner in there and swabbed it out with pieces of towel on the end of a welding rod - nothing left now that would cause the fuel filter to clog.

It would just have been so much easier if it were simple to pull the tank.

No, I'm not missing anything - someone at Yamaha needs a lesson in serviceability as a factor in the design process, it is physically 10mm too big whichever way it is turned.

Ended up packing wood under it to bring it up to hatch level and used a brass syringe type pump to suck the last of the fuel out, emptied half a can of carb cleaner in there and swabbed it out with pieces of towel on the end of a welding rod - nothing left now that would cause the fuel filter to clog.

It would just have been so much easier if it were simple to pull the tank.

Ayuh,... Welcome to the world of fixin' boats,...

Back