Logo

Last of the 2 strokes???

thumper dad

Hello, I am searching around to buy a little boat and motor for my kids to use, and was wondering what was the last year that a 2 stroke 9.9 was made?

Thanks in advance

Judd

Judd....went over to my sons last saturday with the intention of working on a small 4 stroke merc that he had let sit for a year...he had run the gas out the last time he used it...boat had been setting in the weather with a coon living in it...he got rid of the coon and hooked up fresh gas and it started and run like it was run yesterday..i think i would go 4 stroke with no hesitation if i was in the market for a small motor..Carl

I was considering the 2 stroke because it was going to be for a 12 foot car topper alluminum, and the convenience of being able to throw the 2 troke motor in the trunk. My concern with the 2 stroke is if they don't produce them anymore, then how long will they make parts? I do agree though with the 4 stroke being the better choice. I think that will be the route I will take. I will just have to build a transom-like attachment that can go into the trailer hitch to mount the motor for transporting.

Thanks Judd

ok..i see where weight is your consideration....buy any late 2 stroke name brand and parts should not be a problem...

You would be fine with any two stroke from 5.5hp up and from 1956 onwards as long as it has good compression .Plenty of parts are readily available and a well maintained older motor will likely outlast most of the newer ones.Any 'howtos' you may need can be found on this or other boating forums.

Back