Logo

graffic decal repair

KCJ

Contributing Member
I have a 18' 1985 HydroSport with the stock metallic graffic on the side. The stick-on decal is in great shape except for the fact that the clear surface has been removed. With out this surface I am afraid the decal will decompose and start to flake. I am thinking about clear coating the decal with something. Any opinions/experience? Maybe wax the #$&% out of it?

I would clean it really well with soap and water, then use a spray on clear coat like the type they use on the fiberglass covers for marine outboards. If you have a NAPA shop nearby, ask them what would be best.

The last time I did that on a boat engine cover, I used theHonda brand clear coat. But I think any clear coat that is compatible gelcoatwould be okay. Here is an example of what I’m talking about…
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=51837&familyName=Toon-Brite+Protective+Clear-Coat+

BTW - Looking over my previous post, I would also use some acetoneor wax & grease remover before the soap and water to get rid of any waxyresidue.

If you really want to go top tier, there are severalmanufacturers who make a clear gelcoat. I’ve not ever used it, but it isreputedly really good stuff and holds up like regular (white) gelcoat. It is atwo-part epoxy and typically requires multiple coats.

And unless the boat stays under cover when not in use, make sure what ever you select is rated high on UV tolerance...

Thanks for the replys! I found that Toon-Brite this morning just before I saw your message, looks like it is what I am looking for. I have the same concern about dewaxing, but I don't think acetone is the answer. I'm afraid it would attack the exposed ink on the decals. Think I will try alcohol instead, it works as a dewaxer but is slower than acetone or MEK. As Makomark pointed out, UV resistance is the BIG difference between marine and automotive products and Toon-Brite should meet that requirement. However, I like 303 Protecterant as a UV coating, enviromentally sound for marine use and works great if a bright wax shine (decks) is not desired.

Back