Logo

1965 Evinrude 60 HP V4 Fuel/Oil Mix Ratio

duffer1960

I just purchased a 1965 15 foot Anchor craft runabout with the original 60 HP Evinrude on it. The Evinrude is a manual shift model. It has the generator kit on it. It also unfortunately, has the junction box installed under the splashwell, inside the transom. It is in almost showroom condition. The original owner kept it stored in his boathouse, where its been sitting for at least the last 8 years. He sold his cabin, (including the boathouse), to a younger couple who own a jet ski, not a boat, so hence, they wanted the boat out of the boathouse, so they can renovate it. Fortunately for me, I was able to purchase the boat and outboard for an amazingly low price due to their situation. Now my question concerns the gas/oil mix ratio. There is a sticker on the side of the bowl for the break-in period..... 1 quart of oil for each 5 gallons of gas for the first 10 hours, then 1 pint of oil for each 5 gallons of gas, thereafter. I have a 10 gallon plastic fuel tank. Since we use litres up here in Canada, should I use 2 litres of oil for 10 gallons of gas, to keep the ratio rich? Or should I reduce the amount of oil to get the ratio to 50/1? I really do not want to risk damaging the engine, because its in such beautiful condition. Thank you for any advice, I greatly appreciate it. Dan

Run with 1 litre of oil to that 10 gallon tank ( 44 litres )--------------Those are excellent smooth running motors.-----Install a new impeller before you start using the motor.------Canada is fairly big , so what is your location ?

I live about 60 km west and 30 km north of Edmonton. Or 25 km northeast of Lac St Anne, Alberta. And yes, outboard has tilt and trim on it. After I tilted up the outboard out of a plastic drum of water, I saw that there was oil trailing off the prop, and also oil leaking from the top of the gear case, so I will buy a seal kit, and re-seal the lower unit, and replace the water pump impellor, prior to taking it out on a lake... Very exited about this "old girl" because she runs like a champ.....

It just has electric tilt and it can only be used for running in a tilted position at idle.---Just for sneaking up to a beach.----If you applied full power the unit will go down.----May even break the transom brackets if you crack open the throttle.------Pressure test the lower unit to see if you actually have an oil leak !

Both the generator and distributor drive belts were replaced during the last spring that the original owner used the boat. the cylinder heads were re-machined also. The next door neighbor, (an older gentleman), came over while I was checking out the boat prior to buying it. He told me that the original owner took him out water-skiing behind his boat when they were younger ( The boat has a water-skiing bar mounted on the transom, that folds up and down) .... he also said that the original owner had the outboard gone over at a repair shop during the last spring, prior to the boat being used for the last time, the following summer...

I was checking for parts for the gear case for this Evinrude, and apparently this model came with one of 2 types of gear cases....standard or heavy duty..(the heavy duty gear case was the split-gear case type according to the diagrams here...I don't know if this is good or bad, but my outboard has the standard gear case with the solid housing....

That big gearcase was first offered on the 1958--- 50 HP and it is a substantial unit with bearings that can be described as " massive " for the power of the motor.---Later it was offered as a heavy duty unit and it fits both the small V-4 and the bigger 75 / 80 / 85 HP models.--Nothing wrong with the design of the gearcase you have.

Back