Logo

Refinishing a cabin door

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
While my C-Hawk 25 is in dry dock for repairs, and I'm in dry dock recovering from a knee replacement, I've removed the cabin door and plan to disassemble and refurbish it. So I'm seeking some advice on a few things.

1. The door pieces are essentially glued together. Typically I use acetone to break down the glue but it usually takes a long time. Is there a better product out there for doing that?

2. When reassembling the door, any recommendations on what glue is best or doing that? This door takes a beating, so I need something that will really stand up. I plan to add small stainless steel straps at the critical connection points.

3. I will be replacing the thin Plexiglas window in the door - it's scratched up pretty bad. I thought about using tempered glass as a replacement, but I can't find anything less than 1/2 inch thick. I need something 5/16th or less. Any ideas besides Plexiglas?

4. In the past, I've used three coats of MinWax oil-based polyurethane gloss as a top coat. I'm less than pleased with the results. After two years exposed to a harsh saltwater environment, it flakes and peels off. So I'm looking for recommendations for a really tough top coat that will last.

Thanks all.

Hey there- I don't know about the glues as much as others might but I do have a professional opinion on a finish material. Sikkens Cetol Marine is good stuff. I use the Natural Teak most because it has the least amber color of the three Sikkens offers. Its a satin sheen and can stand quite well on its own or it can be top coated with the gloss clear. ,Sanny

Sanny - thanks for the recommendation, but a bit late. Ended up putting on 5 coats of high-end marine varnish. I cut the first coat with mineral spirits to get it to soak in better. It turned out well, but we'll see how long it holds up.

Back