Logo

High Voltage and engine running rough

cobrasp

Hi, I have a 2002 Sea Ray 320 Sundancer with twin inboards, 5.7L I ran it yesterday and I noticed that the starboard engine volt gage was reading real high, the needle was almost pegged. When I shut the engine off after start up, it went to zero, and in the accessory position it was reading normal. I took the boat out (which I probably shouldn't of) and ran it but when I tried to get up on plane the same engine would go to full rpm but then it would fluctuate from about 2800 to 4000 rpm. I tried to get up on plane a few times and then shut the engine down to see if that would help. After about three or four attempts it finanlly held the proper rpms and stayed running fine. None of the other gages were off they all read correctly, so I thought that the engine running funny could have been bad gas or something like that.
My main concern is the volt gage is still showing high/pegged needle and I'm not sure why or if that would effect the engine performing the way it did. And if it did hinder the performance why is it running fine now and the volt meter still messed up?

Thanks

I'd suspect more than one issue...probably best to go after the abnormal voltmeter reading...use a digital meter and measure the battery voltage with the engine running...much over 14.5 volts means its time to get the alternator serviced...

a 2002 is likely to have a computer controlled engine in it...though they are robust, they really work best when the alternator is working as designed...electric fuel pumps are the same way...

Back