Logo

Aligning steering wheel...how to move the shaft with the wood-ruff key slot

FRD1952

I have a 1998 Sea Ray bowrider, and the steering wheel is about at the 1.30-7.30 position when going straight. I want to get the steering wheel aligned to be straight when going straight. I got off the center hub cover, the center nut, and was able to pop off the steering wheel. I can not figure out how to move the shaft itself with the wood-ruff key and slot to the "straight" position without turning the outdrive itself. I see no other "disconnect" place, and the small hex set screw I can see just beyond where the wheel mounts does not seem to allow the movement I need.

The steering assy says TELEFLEX 9150015 just where the wheel mounts onto the assy. I also can remove the cover shown in the picture which is held on with a few springs for the tilt wheel option, but still can not adjust the position of the shaft ??

How can I move the shaft and wood-ruff key to the 12 o'clock position without moving the outdrive ?

Thanks !

Frank

steering (Small).jpg

If the steering box is mounted correctly, I'd suspect one of two things occurred: 1) the steering wheel was not oriented correctly when the cable was installed or 2) the "link" at the outdrive wasn't adjusted to "align" the system when going straight.

If the link you have is fixed, I'd re-install the steering cable per the teleflex directions (most are on the web if you search some).

If the steering box is mounted correctly, I'd suspect one of two things occurred: 1) the steering wheel was not oriented correctly when the cable was installed or 2) the "link" at the outdrive wasn't adjusted to "align" the system when going straight.

If the link you have is fixed, I'd re-install the steering cable per the teleflex directions (most are on the web if you search some).

Ayuh,.... Or, install a Destroyer type steerin' wheel where it don't matter,....

Back