Logo

5.7L Carbureted ECM?

What Sense

I have a new-to-me MP 5.7L carbureted engine in my North River jet boat that is a year 2000 build. As I have read from others, finding info on this MP engine setup is rather hard. I'm trying to learn as much as possible about this engine, and would like to know more about the ECM. Is information on the ECM for most any carbureted GM 5.7L from this year likely to be valid for my engine ECM, of course other than specific tuning for my marine application? Does this ECM store any data such as total engine hours? If so, can anyone point me to a reasonably priced reader? Or should I just tow the boat to Autozone and borrow their reader? I'd also like to learn exactly what this ECM does. Any links to that info?

I wish I could retract the above post, because I was ignorant. My engine is not carbureted, it has TPI. It sure LOOKS like a carburetor at first glance, to an idiot. Thanks to all who read the above and refrained from pointing out my stupidity. Now, if I can find the connection for the OBD2 reader, I THINK it might read useful information.

You will find that the connector is NOT OBD-II compliant and the scanners at AZ won't connect...electrically, the interface is 'normal' GM but physically it isn't like the auto version.

I'd also suspect that the engine, being TBI, was sitting idle for a while before it was installed into that hull. GM abandoned the TBI setup fairly quickly. I'd also expect it to be an MEFI-1, maybe a -2. As far as what it controls and how, there is plenty of info out on the internet regarding its operation. Finally, the standard Delphi manual will apply and, as you suspect, some of the tuning parameters may differ slightly between brands. that said, the troubleshooting and diagnostics will be the same or very similar.

As far as the product to 'read', a Rinda techmate is the preferred choice for most every factory training school...maybe you can coop the cost with some fellow boaters...

Makomark. thanks much for that great additional information. You saved me from trudging any worthless path. I also now have a possible useful application for the diagnostics. The engine has been running great, but I was out with the boat yesterday and I had my first glitch of any kind. Twice, when the engine was warm from runs of several minutes at moderate power, the engine died when returned to slow idle, and would not restart. In both cases I had to wait 10 or 15 minutes, after which it started easily.

I found the diagnostic connector wrapped up in a fist-sized bundle of wires. And the throttle body actually has the letters "TBI" cast into the throttle plate (?) - not "TPI" as I first thought. I am reading up on GM TBI systems from that era.

Back