Logo

Sticking Hydrolic Trim Ram , Very Hard Steering

Justin Orr

Hello Everyone,

Last weekend I took my new-to-me Stamas out for the first time. Sadly, I never made it off the dock due to a few issues with the motor not starting. Turns out it was just a fuel primer issue.

Anyways, another issue we noticed was the motor will not fully lower. It will come down to ''travel position'' (as someone told me) and it stops. With about 5lbs of weight on the motor, it will unfreeze the ram and the motor will drop to running position, however it will leak fluid during this movement.

I've attached two pictures... hopefully someone knows what the issue is/a fix!

I'll go out today and get more pictures, hopefully I can find the serial/model #. This is currently attached to a 1992 Force 150.

On a side note, the steering is very hard. I have to use two hands to actually turn the wheel. It appears there is grease by the motor, but I'm not sure baout the steering box under the dash. I'll grab pictures of these too.photo.jpgphoto2.jpg

Took some more pictures today.. hopefully someone has an idea on whats going on. I tried to raise the motor, and it won't raise. The hydrolic motor just wines... I think it's out of fluid.

IMG_0435.jpgIMG_0437.jpgIMG_0438.jpg

I's suggest getting the owner's manual and making sure all the grease fittings are taking grease...looks like lots of corrosion which infers lack of maintenance.

You can disconnect the link from the steering cable to the engine to see if the issue is the steering or the pivots...I'd expect the later.

if that turns out to be the case, I'd suspect the pivots for the tilt are frozen/binding/corroded as well...

and don't run the tilt motor without fluid...

Fix the o-ring after the engine pivots are freed up...a local hydraulic shop is usually your best bet.

Back