Logo

Cobia 2008 216 Scratch Repair Question

guyp2k

In the process of purchasing sea-foam 2008 Cobia 216. The boat and engine are in excellent condition with one exception, see below:

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/gu...d509a.jpg.html

I spoke with the local boat repair and he indicated yes it can be fixed but may not match in color and suggested I call Cobia and purchase the gel-coat. The cost to address is $475.00. My repair guy indicated that this would start to flake and become worst.....

Just looking for some suggestions and feedback.

It's already pretty bad since the skin is compromised and you are into the Fiberglas. You will need to grind out the gash, refill with epoxy or epoxy and Fiberglas, and re-gelcoat it. A good boatyard should match the color pretty close, or, as suggested, buy a small container of the colored gelcoat from the manufacturer. When first coated, it will not match perfectly, but time will usually fade it very close to the surrounding color.

Thanks for the reply. Once fixed, will this reappear over time or effect the integrity of the boat. I live on the gulf coast and there are a few repair shops that do this type of work and have been in business a long time. I would imagine this type of gouge happens frequently and can be addressed by a seasoned professional.

Would this prevent you or anyone from purchasing the boat if the seller agrees to have addressed by a "Professional?"

Thanks

People buy boats for different reasons. Cosmetics ranks a good way down the priority list for most. A certified professional repair of that scope will not likely make any significant difference on resale value. If you are keeping an eye on resale value, the very best thing you can do is keep a contemporaneous log of all engine and boat maintenance, repairs, and upgrades. That demonstrates that the boat was well cared for.

Back