Logo

Maxum 1800 SR (Year 2000) Fuel gauge problem

thecca

Hi,

My fuel gauge isn't working and I want to get it fixed. I know that it might be the fuel sending unit, but I don't know where to buy another one and the guy at the marine shop didn't either.

My tank is a 110L (29 GAL), and the sender is placed vertically with a little rubber thing that moves. When I removed it I noticed there were fuel all the way in the hole but the tank is around 50% full. Also, does someone know a website where I can type my boat and it'll match the correct part?

Is it more likely the gauge itself or the sendint unit?...

First of all, marine in-tank fuel gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Between an ever changing plane, and a dinky sending unit, I never rely on the things to tell me how much fuel is in the tank. Your best bet is to install an inline fuel flow meter in your fuel line. That will give you an accurate running reading of how much fuel you have used. Unfortunately, they are expensive, $300 and up.

To answer your first question go to Westmarine.com, or Jamestowndistributors.com. They both carry fuel tank sending units and fuel gauges. As far as I know, all marine fuel sending units rely on variations in resistance. So, remove the sending unit and hook up an ohm meter to the output (S) tab and ground. Move the float up and down and note the variance in resistance. If you get a full range of readings, your sending unit is probably okay. With the sending unit still out of the tank, hook it back up to the meter lead(s). Turn on your key switch, move the float up and down and see if the meter responds. If not, the you have a bad meter or bad wiring.

The best site for boat engine parts diagrams is boats.net. http://www.boats.net/

i have had excellent results with west marine over the years...if you can take a part in then if they dont have it they will order it...knowledgeable people and a no questions asked return policy...the local store has 4-5 different fuel sender units and meters in stock...i have no skin in their game..just good service from them...most freshwater fishermen dont even know they are in town..all their advertising is pointed toward large boats...

Here's a quick test...remove sending unit wire from sender, turn key ON, and ground the wire to the ground side of the sending unit...needle should go to FULL and issue is with Sending unit.

If it stays @ E, get a jumper wire from the battery ground and connect the other end to the sender wire. should go to FULL. If so, reconnect sender wire to sending unit and the connect to jumper wire to the ground side of the sender unit. if the gauge reads now, the ground wire to the sender unit needs replacement.

Like Chawk noted, the "accuracy" is almost always lacking...don't expect it unless you want to pay big bucks for a custom setup.

Back