Logo

Engines surging before secondaries open

kjnstl

Both of my engines surge from 3200 to 3800 RPMs. When I advance the throttle and the 4 barrels open up they accelerate great.
Background:
1989 Wellcraft St. Tropez
Two new Gen IV 7.4L long blocks
Original intakes
New quadrajet carbs
new exhaust
new ignition components on old distributor bases
Original ingnition modules
new fuel pump on P engine
P reverse and S standard rotation
timing set on each at 10 BTDC
I originally thought that I had a fuel delivery issue but the engines perform great once the secondaries open up.
Ideas on what to try...???

One forum for one problem in one thread...for starters...

It is Highly Unlikely that you have NEW Q-jets...the question is what engines were the carbs you have set up for?

Surge is one indicator of a lean condition...@ what RPMs does the air valve start opening and what RPM does it go full open at?

What RPM gives you full timing advance?

No they are NOT NEW Q-jets. they are reman built to run on 7.4L Merc. I do not have the specs as to the rods or jets used.
When you say air valve are you speaking of the top butterfly of the secondary? I can check over the holiday weekend as well as record the advance timing against RPMs.

Yes, the air valve covers the secondaries. The secondary rod size is read right off the rod. The rods can be lifted, via their hanger, by removing the screw holding the hanger to the cam.

If you have a vacuum gauge, measuring the vacuum vs rpm, especially when the air valve is enable would be another great data point to know.

Back