Logo

1983 DT30 tuning

topman1993

hi was looking for some info on tuning this engine.

i have a 14ft speedboat with a suzuki dt30 engine, 2 cylinder 2 stroke.

i was just wondering what people would do to improve performance? im looking at possibly squeezing a few extra hp out of it to help with pulling toys and other stuff behind.. i am mechanically minded so i can do most jobs myself

i have currently just tried rejetting it from a 160 to 165.. but after hours of trying to adjust the air fuel mixture to suit i dont think its having any of it!

any help is appreciated
smile.gif

this is the model i have if its any use http://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc/pdf/DT30(83-85).pdf

Unless you are at a fairly high altitude, put the standard jets back in.

I do not know of any magic way to squeeze more horsepower, without modifications, which would probably hurt the life of the engine.

Hopefully, the prop that you have on it now will give you about 5500 rpm at full throttle, trimmed out.

If you need more pulling power when you are tubing etc, change the prop to a pitch about 2 inches less pitch. That will get your rpms up fast to pull. You have to be careful, then, not to overrev when you are not pulling the tubes. In normal operation (no tubers), put the other prop on.

What you get on the bottom end, you give up on the top end.

Just like life......prop size is a compromise.

Mike

:

these are bullet proof little engines
i have a suzi 30 electric start longshaft and its a 1983.
what is the prop your unning ?
youl find a 10 pitch to be the verage all rounder, but a 9 will give quicker holeshot but much slower top end.
i have recently put a 12 pitch on my engine and tried that is gives 27mph top end, but the 10 is slightly quicker out the hole.
These engines came in 25hp and 30hp, they were not designed with huge performance and are limited with their breathing etc.
this makes them last so long.
suzuki came up with a higher performance 3 cylinder 30 but that is nowhere near the quality of the 2 cylinder engine.

i have an original manual for mine that came with it,it gives lots of diagrams and info for the owner.

i have not seen anyone do any real good mods to one of these apart from having a nosecone fitted and a cleaver prop for
out and out racing top end.

here below is a pic with a nice sharp nosecone and a nice prop on a 1983 suzuki dt25./30, but this cost big
money and is only good for top end performance !!!!!
its funny how the gearcase looks nothing like original when these cones are added.
But like i say, they are for high performance.

Like posted above, for top speed you sacrifice pull away, and vice versa,especially on the smaller engines.

what size prop are you running at the moment ? and what make and material ?

Attachments

• nosecone and nice prop.jpg
    nosecone and nice prop.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 629
Back