Logo

New SSteering System Recomendations

ehlien

Regular Contributor
I have an 83 17' Sea Nymph with a 50HP Mariner on it. The rack and pinion steering is toasted on it and parts no longer available so i need to replace it. It was recommended I go to a rotary helm unit such as the Teleflex NFB 147 series . The rack had a 4 to 1 turn ratio, the 147 4.2 - 1 . Now I'm wondering if that unit is overkill and a NFB SafeT 11 is adequate? It has a 3 -1 ratio ratio.
Can anyone offer some advice?
Thanks

I have an 83 17' Sea Nymph with a 50HP Mariner on it. The rack and pinion steering is toasted on it and parts no longer available so i need to replace it. It was recommended I go to a rotary helm unit such as the Teleflex NFB 147 series . The rack had a 4 to 1 turn ratio, the 147 4.2 - 1 . Now I'm wondering if that unit is overkill and a NFB SafeT 11 is adequate? It has a 3 -1 ratio ratio.
Can anyone offer some advice?
Thanks

Ayuh,... Generally speakin',... If it's got rack, 'n pinion, a rotary helm won't fit....

The whole rack system installed is toast so I was advised to swap out the system for a rotary helm by the local boat shop that claims thats what they do with most replacements.

Ayuh,.... I understand that, I'm just tellin' ya that the rotary helms are Bigger than the rack, 'n that generally, boat manufacturer's tend to install what Fits, rather than just goin' with a rack or rotary helm,...

Just got a New Pretec rotary unit yesterday and installed the helm under the center console. It actual took up quite a bit less space than the rotary unit I took out so I'm pretty happy about that so far.

Just got a New Pretec rotary unit yesterday and installed the helm under the center console. It actual took up quite a bit less space than the rotary unit I took out so I'm pretty happy about that so far.

Ayuh,.... Above ya said it was a Rack, 'n Pinion system,....

Sorry I meant to say than the rack I took out. I have found that the rack gears had a little nicer transition/were smoother when changing steering direction from one side to the other since there is very little play in the gears while the rotary cable has a very slight bind when you change direction as the play in the cable winding is taken up from one side to the other . Other than that the system seems quite smooth.

Back