Logo

Kohler 7.3E Genset Starter location

KCMang

This may sound lame :eek: but I never worked on my Kohler 7.3E generator and now I need to locate the starter.

Boat was on blocks for the winter when Sandy struck. All the boats on my side of the marina were swept off their blocks and deposited on the other side of the marina. That wasn't the worst part. The drain plug was removed from the bilge for the winter so any water from rain or snow wouldn't accumulate. The batteries that run the bilge pumps were in storage.

So my boat sank on land. Could not tell how high the water got in the engine compartment. Just know that it got in there. So I changed starters and alternators on both engines and everything seems to run great. Put boat in water last week and no problems except for my genset. Sounds like starter is turning but not engaging and won't crank engine. Want to remove starter to check the solenoid but I can't see where it is.

Can anyone tell me what I have to remove to get to it? I think it's at the rear left of the genset. Can't see much with the genset enclosure in place.

Back