Logo

9.8 thunderbolt stator

jhmerc

I am new to the forum, so this question may have already been asked and answered. I have an older model 110 that has the wires coming from the stator corroded off at the stator. Stator works but I don't trust the splice I installed to hold up and would hate to be miles from the dock when it fails. Has anyone removed the potting compound on a stator and replaced the wires? Don't know the year model, but it has points and stator completely encircles the crankshaft.

If you can remove a enough to make a soldered connection you could use some JB Weld to encase it. Otherwise try to get a replacement. If not available here try CDI.

Thanks guyjg, that's what I what 'I was thinking. Anyone have any advice on how thick the potting compound is or how to go about removing it without damaging the stator coils?

You are doing surgery on the coils under the potting compound...slowly scrape away the compound around the corroded wire. Remove only enough to make a soldered connection. The wire you expose for the connection will be coated w/clear plastic. Scrape it off as needed.

Back