Logo

Solar Panel and shore power

Yobbo

Hi I am about to install a 12v 200w solar panel on my boat to help put some charge back in my 12v 600ah house battery bank while anchored up, now my question is, while my boat is back at the marina and plugged into AC shore power, the batteries are charged by a ctek 25amp charger, can I use the solar panel power AND the AC 240v ctek charger at the same time? please note I am in Australia and our AC power is 240v 50hz

If the power sources had high isolation, looking back from the load to the source, then it wouldn't matter. But usually not and the two sources would be monitoring the voltage on the batteries and trying to make their own corrections not knowing they were fighting the other charger trying to do the same thing. Mass confusion and I wouldn't do it.

Mark

UPDATE: I ended up installing a single 12v 300w solar panel which I mounted on the hardtop of the flybridge, I installed a dual pol isolator switch between the panel and the solar charging regulator, when I leave the marina I switch it to the on position and return it to the off position when I return to the marina, very easy and works well

I am no electrician but i have been thinking of putting a solar panel on mine. I know this is a bit old post but could you comment on how effective was it. for example, would it take to charge my laptop? Also how did you choose your panel. prices are pritty diverse.

Hi Riley1, nothing wrong with digging up old posts, For me the solar project works 100% I have a 33 foot motor cruiser and I have installed 6 x 100 amp AGM batteries for the house bank, everything on my boat runs off 12 volts apart from the hot water system which is AC / engine heated , all lights, refrigeration, 2 x TV`s, stereo, fans, water pumps and a small AC inverter all run off my 12v house bank, I also have a Honda generator but rarely use it.

I decided on a single 300 watt solar panel, this was the biggest panel I fit on m boat, I could not fit 2 x 200watt panels, so I went with the biggest panel I could get, this into a 30 amp regulator returns to my battery bank between 80 - 120 amps per day depending on sunlight. I estimated I would use around 150 amps maximum per day which is quite a lot, but that's why I have a big battery bank.

My advise would be to install the biggest panel you can fit / afford, use quality cable and connectors an decent charge regulator, and a decent sized battery you could run a inverter off the battery and charge your laptop via the laptops own AC power supply

It is hard to comment on your requirements, do you only want to charge a laptop? nothing else? does your boat already have a battery bank? I am happy to offer you more advice but really need to know a bit more about your requirements

cheers Yobbo

Back