Logo

Ignition problem with 50hp 4 cyl

outfield3678

I have a 50hp 4cyl serial # 6588669. I have spark on 1 and 4 cylinder. No spark on 2&3. the ignition coils check good 800-900 ohms for output, 0.60 ohms for primary. triggers are around 900 ohms. the stator wires red to red/white read 138 ohms. blue to blue/white is 750,000 ohms(almost open). i removed the stator and the insualtion is coming off the wires especially on the yellow rectifier wires. Can i rule the switch box out, or could both be bad.

thanks Ron

Can i rule the switch box out, or could both be bad.
Stator has output as 1 & 4 are firing, it not the triggers as pairing is off. More likely it the switchbox but the stator will give problems if in that bad of shape.

Stator has output as 1 & 4 are firing, it not the triggers as pairing is off. More likely it the switchbox but the stator will give problems if in that bad of shape.

Since I am getting a very high ohm reading on high side blue to blue/wh 750,000 instead of 5000 ohm. I quess I have to replace both. Does the high side fire not fire at idle speed? Why do you have 2 types of windings. I know one winding is for the rectifier to charge the battery with DC voltage.

thanks Ron

Back