Logo

late 70s mercury 200 20hp fuel to rich?

tjjags11

yes im sorry i am not able to give the exact date on this engine i cant even find the serial number on it from looking at pics of other engines it is blue and looks like a late 70s model anyways i just got it running yesterday i had to take the carb off and clean it when i put it in the water yesterday i would say the engine was working at about 60 percent when the throttle was at full someone told me that the fuel was to rich it also would flood the engine if it did not crank the first few pulls does this sound about right? if so is the way to fix this by tightening up the needle valve i appreciate any help thanks

Does the primer ball go hard when you squeeze it ?----If not then there may be an issue with the float valve or with the diaphragm in the fuel pump.----Have you checked to make sure there is spark on both that will jump a gap of 3/8" or better.-------These engines will run quite well on one cylinder !

Does the primer ball go hard when you squeeze it ?----If not then there may be an issue with the float valve or with the diaphragm in the fuel pump.----Have you checked to make sure there is spark on both that will jump a gap of 3/8" or better.-------These engines will run quite well on one cylinder !

i actually have only checked the bottom plug but when i squeeze the primer ball fuel will shoot out of the carb also when i choke it it will fill up with fuel. also in neutral it will rev up very high it just will not in forward or reverse.

Most motors will rev up in nuetral even when running on one cylinder, proves nothing at all.-----Revisit your carburetor work and check for spark as per post #2.----Trouble shooting is the path forward !

Back