Logo

1994 Yamaha Pro V 150 hp oil pump issue

Old Man

My 94 Yamaha Pro V 150HP has stop automatically filling the oil tank mounted on the engine from the oil tank located in bilge area. I can fill the tank on the motor manually and run with no problems but I assume the pump which transfer oil from the reserve 10.5 liter tank to the pint sized tank on the motor has expired. Can someone tell me if there may be some other issue with the pumping system, troubleshooting procedures to confirm the problem or an approximate cost to repair or replace the oil pump. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. :cool:

Before you purchase a pump. Remove the tank clean it, replace the filter and check the pump operation. These pumps are pretty reliable. Most of the time the filter is clogged.

Not sure if your engine has one, but the slightly later (SWS) models have a switch in the 'corner' of the black plastic electrical cover on the rear of the block. If it is there, this is the 'manual' transfer switch and you can try this (ignition on) to see if the pump will work. You will hear it going if you put your ear close enough. Again if it is like the SWS models there is a 4 wire loom that goes to the pump from the engine. I have seen these cut and joined to shorten them during installation, leading to a corroded connection in a place where you wouldn't expect there to be a connector. As Chris said above however, a blocked filter etc is a likely cause.

Back