Logo

Swapping Powerhead QUESTIONS

radioguy1027

I'm attempting to replace my old dying powerhead with a used powerhead I purchased. Upon inspection of both, side by side, it's obvious that the carborator side of the replacement is a bit different. Two primary differences that are obvious... the starter mount bolts face 90 degrees different. I think this can work. But on the opposite top side, theres a bracket for the distributor assembly. My old motor has electronic ignition and no distributor.

Question... I'm replacing the powerhead because the motor overheated last fall and fried a cylinder. It appears that the part of the motor that's different, the head?... can be pulled from the old and put on the replacement. Is there any chance this would work? Could this old head? be damaged in a way that would be invisible to the ***** eye?

Your advice would be extremely appreciated. [email protected]

Any serial #'s ----Any HP information ?-----Any pictures ?----Some Mercury motors do not have a cylinderhead, just a water cover.

Question... I'm replacing the powerhead because the motor overheated last fall and fried a cylinder. It appears that the part of the motor that's different, the head?... can be pulled from the old and put on the replacement. Is there any chance this would work?
Sorry it will not work and crankcase halves on a distributor model inline cannot be swapped with a ADI model as line up pins work align, top of halve is 1/8 taller and would need machined off and there is no place or bosses to mount ignition plate with coil and packs to side that block.... been there ,done it!

Back