Logo

2004 Mercury 90hp Questions...

haydenfox

Its a saltwater series ELPTO, serial # OT872802

1. What are the wires coming from the upper voltage regulator connected to? Theres 2 red, 2 yellow, 1 grey and the black ground. Couple of the bulletts are fried and they all are melted together.

2. There is 3 brown wires at the bottom, 1 of which has a white stripe. 1 of the solid brown wires is capped while the other two (striped and solid) are not capped and look as though they should be plugged together. They are not.

3. I have a small "puddle" of a clearish, slightly greasy liquid at the front of the motor, under the cowl. It smells like gas but doesnt ignite on a q-tip like gas. It initially flames a bright green. I did not notice it when I bought it two days ago. Had it out in a no wake zone, idle speed area yesterday and it did fine but I did get a hint of fuel torward the end.

4. Fuel guage bounces around between half tank and empty. ?

History:
Motor has 100 hrs tops. Its has always been run monthly when not in use and the oil was changed regularly. Guy used seafoam fuel stabalizer w/ each fill up. He added a water seperator.

Thanks and glad to be here!

Wlecome aboard.

1. from the stator...bullets are cheap connectors. They melted because they got very hot from high current flow from battery demand. What voltage is showing on the voltmeter? Separate and make sure of good continuity connections...tape them and/or zip tie separately.

2. don't connect them together...unused circuits? my engine has the same.

3. when the carbs are full and engine tilted fuel/oil mix runs out...mine has the same, just wipe it up now and then w/WD-40 on a paper towel.

4. normal for gauge to bounce around when 1/2 or less full...cheap sender used by tank mfgr. Check the fuel level by sight and compare to gauge for tank level reference until you get to know the tank and gauge. When mine gets to E it is still half full.

PO used Seafoam...you are lucky...keep using it or marine Stabil to prevent stale fuel problems.

Wlecome aboard.

1. from the stator...bullets are cheap connectors. They melted because they got very hot from high current flow from battery demand. What voltage is showing on the voltmeter? Separate and make sure of good continuity connections...tape them and/or zip tie separately. Do I need to replace the connectors? Maybe splice and tie off with a wire nut? Im not sure Im following the part about seperating them and tieing off seperately. Thanks!

2. don't connect them together...unused circuits? my engine has the same.

3. when the carbs are full and engine tilted fuel/oil mix runs out...mine has the same, just wipe it up now and then w/WD-40 on a paper towel.

4. normal for gauge to bounce around when 1/2 or less full...cheap sender used by tank mfgr. Check the fuel level by sight and compare to gauge for tank level reference until you get to know the tank and gauge. When mine gets to E it is still half full.

PO used Seafoam...you are lucky...keep using it or marine Stabil to prevent stale fuel problems.

I replied in the quote. Thank you!

Do I need to replace the connectors? Maybe splice and tie off with a wire nut?
Open them and verify good connections...sand them w/800 grit sandpaper and reconnect. Replace if necessary but tin the wire ends to prevent corrosion and crimp connections.
Im not sure Im following the part about seperating them and tieing off seperately
If they are melted together, separate and repair as needed. I don't like high current/temp. wires and connectors bundled together...just me. Heat has less chance to dissipate thus melting the soft plastic covers. You need to determine if the voltage rectifier/regulator was fried...melted connction insulation...check the voltage at idle; not more than 14.8 volts.

Open them and verify good connections...sand them w/800 grit sandpaper and reconnect. Replace if necessary but tin the wire ends to prevent corrosion and crimp connections. If they are melted together, separate and repair as needed. I don't like high current/temp. wires and connectors bundled together...just me. Heat has less chance to dissipate thus melting the soft plastic covers. You need to determine if the voltage rectifier/regulator was fried...melted connction insulation...check the voltage at idle; not more than 14.8 volts.

Thanks. I'll check the voltage after work tomorrow. A couple of the connectors are crisp black. There are no signs of overheating (visually) at the regulator/rect. You say "if" the bulletts need replaced... but aren't they a potential hazard to motor for being a cheap way to get the job done?

Replace the regulators and the harness. They burned for a reason. If they are still working they will eventually fail. Sometimes this happens just because the battery was Briefly hooked up backwards.

Last edited:
I want to make sure Im understanding the info Im getting before I move forward.

1. Mercury has a history w/ the overheating of regs./recti.
- Cause could be a number of things including incorrect battery connection and/or overloading caused by wiring failure.
2. Based on the voltage readings, it is possible that the regulator/rectifier are still good even if the bulletts are cooked.
- The regulator/rectifier will eventually over heat from bad connections due to resistance and/or overload if not corrected. However, fixing the problem at the connectors could save the regulator/rectifier.

Back