Logo

Power Drive steers slowly

H. I. McDunnough

Regular Contributor
I have a 55PD that's 12yrs. old. It steers slowly, now, especially at higher speeds. I've gotten in the habit of reaching down and grabbing the head to give it a little assist at those times. Any way, the out side of the coil cord is all cracked-up and coming off, so I tore down the whole motor to replace the cord and check-out everything else.
It all looks good. I cleaned out the gear box. The only thing that I could find was the inner bushings on the drive shaft were siliconed on, but could be slid off the shaft. I don't know why it is done; they can't slide once assembled. Maybe to seal the gear housing? Any way, I resiliconed them. I put 12volts to the steer motor. It seems fine; no noise, strong, and the gear is tight on the shaft. I don't know how to test the motor for the proper rpms. I'm going to relube the gear box with new moly grease, hoping that new grease will give it new life.
My question, at this point, is; do stay the course, and put it back together, or spend $40 bucks and replace the motor?Thanks for your time.

Back