Logo

Crusader Injectors

CaboJohn

Regular Contributor
Engines are 2002 Captain's choice 350s. Had the injectors on the starboard side checked and cleaned after finding two partially clogged on the port. One of the starboard injectors was stuck open and needed to be replaced. No Crusader parts down here south of the border. Needed part was a Crusader RA087007 which is actually a GM 12567905. But GM only uses it in Marine. It flows 24 lb. hr. and there is no auto part store or junk yard GM equivalent. The injector is a Bosch style, probably made under license. But then I found a Ford injector, part number XF1E-A5B. This is a part that was used on many Ford engines (and is readily available), looks the same (except for color), and flows at 24 lb. hr. with a four hole pintle, just like the real thing. Picked up a junk yard replacement and had it flow tested and cleaned. Engine runs great. If you need a Crusader injector this can be a good (cheap) alternative.
CaboJohn

Good info.

Are you sure they were rated (flow rate) at the same PSI as the GM parts? If your guys flow tested on the bench, did they give a set of numbers comparable to the GM set?

Mako-
I did not see the numbers from the flow test but was told they were the same as the GM/Crusader. My mechanic (here just a middleman) also said "They had found a Chevy injector that flowed the same to replace the bad one I had given them". I had looked before for a GM automotive replacement that was the same flow and did not think it existed, so I was doubtful. I took the part home (instead of to the boat) and looked up the number of the injector they had given me. And that was when I found that it was actually a Ford part, and that all the references I could find said it was rated at 24 lb/hr. You can Google it yourself. So I believe the report that it tested the same. And, as I said in the first post, it looks the same (except it is molded out of light blue plastic).

As for flow and pressure, the injector rating is done at 3 BAR (43.5 psi). Actual flow in any application will vary from the rated flow depending upon the fuel pressure it sees which may well be different in the Ford engine. It is hard to find OEM references to flow and that may be the reason. But the rebuilder/hot rod community does give and use these flow ratings. The 3 BAR rating is used to compare injectors on an equal basis. For example if the hot rodders improve air flow on an engine, they will choose an injector that flows a few more lbs an hr, that way they get more power without messing with the computer or changing the fuel supply system. For those that really get into the math, there is a web site that allows one to convert rated flow to actual flow depending upon fuel pressure.

I have just returned to Florida. Boat is running great (except for the gen-set) so now I just need to wait until the fishing picks up to go back down.
CaboJohn

Back