Logo

88-89 evinrude 200 with VRO questions

Oldboatguy8911

Contributing Member
Got a 89 20 ft hydra sport the other day with a late 80's evinrude 200hp VRO. Firstly it cranked 2nd time ran strong, sounded good , visually inspected the motor saw no signs of wear and tear on the inside. Carbs will be cleaned, replacing fuel lines tomorrow. But my question is , what octane does this engine run off of? My buddies Johnson gt150 VRO v6 runs off 93. (Idk why I find that relevant) also what is fuel mixture. Will post a proper motor year and model later when I get the serial no.

Step # 1 is to find out if the VRO is still in service !!----Many of them have been bypassed in favour of the owner mixing oil in the fuel at 50:1.--------Mix at 50:1 untill you verify that the oil injection is mixing at the proper rate.

I want to bypass the VRO whether it is working properly or not. I want the ease of mind that my motor is getting oil. What octane do I need to use?

Bypassing the VRO. My mind will not be at ease. Emptying the gas tanks tomorrow. Replacing fuel lines and primer bulb. Mixing 50:1 with one can of sea foam. Gonna take her out for a easy test run. If I feel she isn't prime for real hard running I am going to rebuild the carbs.

Also the foot has a plastic fin on it. Apparently it helps the boat plane out faster? But restricts top speed and overall performance? Is this true?

Are you talking about a whale tail? Bolts to the anti-cav plate? If you are, yep, they get the bow down sooner (really they stop the stern from going in as fgar). As to top speed and performance, I've run the same boat with and without the tail. Yes, it planed faster. No difference in top speed or performance. If you have the motor too far in the water, it will hurt perfomance.

Back