Logo

1976 Johnson Stinger many questions (new boat owner) NEWBIE here

radavis75

I am a New Boat owner. I have LOTS of questions. Johnson Stinger 75HP Model # 75ELR76D What type of oil do I use in Lower unit? Synthetic? What are the Best Spark Plugs? What is the Best 2cycle oil & what Ratio do I mix it? What size Battery do I need? & Should I use a Battery Maintainer? if so which type? Its on a 77 Phantom runabout. It has a drain hole in bottom rear, no bilge pump. Should I add one? & if so, Do I run it to that drain hole or a new one on the side? or somewhere else?
I THANK YOU VERY MUCH for helping this newbie out! I've wanted a boat for YEARS & now want to do it RIGHT! So ANY other Info you would Like to add that You think I should know Please feel Free!!!
Thanks Again!!!!
Robert

Best do a compression test for future reference.----Change the waterpump impeller.--------Use outboard gear oil in the lower unit.--------------Any oil that is rated TCW-3 for mixing in the fuel at 50:1.

First of all THANKS for your input! But why change the water pump impeller & sorry I don't even know what that is or where it is... & how do I do a Compression test? what do I use to do it? like I said I'm a TOTAL newbie to ALL things Boats!! Again THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!
Robert

Water pump impellers are often changed about 5 minutes after they should have been and then it is too late !--One of the most neglected parts on outboard motors in my opinion.----Run to your local shop and have a new impeller installed.---A compression tester gives you a good indication on the health of your motor and can be bought for about $40.00 and will come with instructions.----Reading your reply in post #3 I suggest you get an owners / operators manual for your motor and read it twice.------Also a maintenance manual and read it once.----------Those 2 items will teach you all you need to know and save you a bunch of money.

Last edited:
Again I thank you For your expertise! I had planned on getting a owners & maintenance manual. I also thought to post here to learn from people who have "been There" cause I obviously haven't! If you would allow me to pick your brain ONE LAST time it would be GREATLY Appreciated... (Cause I doubt it will be in manual?)
What Size Battery? & Battery Maintainer? or No Maintainer? & the Drain hole vs a Bilge pump? & should I run it to same hole or make a new one? if so, Where? side? back?
Again THANK YOU for ALL your Time & expertise! I just wish I could return the favor!!!!!

Back