Logo

Lanyard Kill Switch Change over for 15R76A

Gentlemen, I have acquired 1976 Johnson 15hp outboard. I would like to replace the existing kill switch (a push button type) with one with a lanyard. On the surface this appears to be an easy conversion..... if a substitute kill switch with lanyard can be found. Going through the schematics, it looks like Johnson/Evinrude went with the lanyard activated kill switch in tiller. I'm looking for a substitute which would go in the lower engine cowling.
Any suggestions?

The wires leading to the present tiller kill switch, push button.... One wire leads from the ignition setup to the switch/button... the other wire leads from the switch/button to a engine ground.

Simply have one wire of the lanyard type kill switch attached to that wire (splice in to have both kill systems active) that leads from the ignition, with the remaining kill switch wire connected to a engine ground.

My apologies for not being a little clearer on my request. My present kill switch is mounted in the lower engine cowling (when Johnson went with the lanyard set up later, it was placed in the tiller). I want to replace what I now have with a tethered kill switch. I'm looking for a kill switch which will fit (reasonably well) into the existing hole in the motor cowling. I believe this would be a 'normally closed' switch and when the lanyard is pulled out, the circuit closes (goes to ground) and kills the engine. There are a gazillion kill switches out there. Very few have specs (open, closed, diameter, etc, etc.). Looking to see if any one on the forum has made this type of switch over and what switch they used.
Thanks,

Some Johnson / Evinrude / Mercury control boxes have an external kill switch that could be mounted or your lower cowling.----There are different ways to do this job and it is up to the owner to pick the one way he prefers.

Back