Logo

couple of issues...

nicknack2

Regular Contributor
Hi guys here we go there are a couple of issues that I’m dealing with my motor (200hp Johnson 1991 model no idle adjusting screw)...last Summer I replaced my timer base due to a no spark issue, spark came back and motor “ran” for the rest of the season…but I noticed that my “quick star” feature never worked, my motor ran mostly at around 1000-1100 RPMs at idle, only took the boat out 4 or 5 times out fishing last season, but when I was doing maintenance this year decided to find out about why my quick start was not working (disengaging) so I figured the P/P was bad (started to have intermittent no spark issue again) went thru the whole “May be the batteries are weak or starter dragging not turning the motor above 300 RPMs”, well put the new P/P in, spark is good and quick start works… now my problem is that my motor every so often shuts off on his own while idling (idles at around 800 RPMs) and every time I restart the motor I have to wait for the quick start to disengage before I put the motor in to gear… which leads me to the other problem… if I start the motor (after it dies on me at idle, idles for about 5-10 minutes, 4-5 to disengage the quick start and remaining 4-5 at regular idle 800 RPMs) and need to put it in reverse I get lots of grinding and it will not totally engage (grinds) in to reverse and kicks the motor up which is my third problem the hydraulic is not holding the motor down… I have to give it lots of throttle to engage reverse…I know is a lot, but any ideas on these three issues:

1.-Why motor is shutting off at idle
2.-Possible fix for engaging motor in reverse
3.-What to do in order to make the motor not kick up when given throttle in reverse, also some times the motor does not wants to go down if I raise it up “too high” while putting it on trailering mode, I have to use the manual release valve (slot screw with flat tip)

Back