Logo

Evinrude 150xp questions

Oldboatguy8911

Contributing Member
I'm buying a 19ft Aries bass boat with a evinrude 150xp I am unsure About it cause he wants 2900 for the boat. I have seen pictures but the deck an what not look great! But I only know Mercury it's all I have dealt with. How are these motors? Common problems? What are things to look for when the cover is off. Any particular parts that wear out easily? Just general information the price is low and I am trying to gather information on he motor

I suppose you could start and run the motor on a hose.-----But any V-6 running on 5 cylinders will sound impressive.----Best is to visit a shop with a dynomometer and do a proper test.--That would be money well spent.

I have never had anything excepct evinrude personally. I have never had any major problems with any, still own all 3. My bossman has a 150 and he has had good luck with it.
Except for not using them enough and halfing to clean the carbs!! Which is pretty easy. But when buying a motor on sight, if you visually inspect it and it is not all rusty on the heads. Then if you can do a quick compression test on it. Then I also like to take the front carb cover off so you can see into the carbs while it is running, it is real obvious if the carbs are spraying properly if you gas on it. If you check all 3 of those things it is probally a good motor.
Steve

Back