Logo

Old ugly boat ???

tanman34fl

I have what used to be a 74 starcraft. It has been gutted and converted into a center console. Who knows how many times it has been repainted. I did it once myself . I used concrete paint i got from home depot on the gunnels and inside, Some type of selfleveling marine paint on the upper outside. And gel coated the bottom. I sanded everything and preped as best i could, everything was brush painted.* When I*did it is was peeling really bad, because one of the lower white paints was turning loose. It looked ok for a while but still continued peeling. Except for the bottom where I did the gel coat still looks pretty good.
I am ready to try again and the thing is in full peel. I borrowed a electric*pressure washer from a friend and it took off some but once it dried it all lifted and you can still just flake away at it. I havea 20 foot boat, that is alot of picking. Can I use a higer pressure on tghe fiberglass or do I have to be careful with the pressure washer??? It all needs to come off if I ever want new paint to stay. Do I have to use stripper? Can I use stripper on it??*Not unless there is some super*miracle paint out there.
Thanks fo`r any help you can offer!!
Steve

Any good paint stripper will take it down to aluminum it may take a couple three times first use a putty knife to get the majority off a section at a time. make sure its dry and brush the paint stripper in one direction only. scrape it and then pressure wash it. you will get the feel for how long to let it set before scrapeing it. let it dry after pressure washing it and hit it again with stripper. You need to get down to raw aluminum and then etch it first before putting on the top coat.
http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/metal-boat-building/removing-paint-repainting-aluminum-26317.html I found this thread I did mine with the zinc chromate and top coat with two part enamel wish I would have tried the water base acrylic. It took forever to strip around all the rivets on my 12 ft starcraft. Make sure you wipe it good with acetone to degrease it before you apply the etch coat prep is everything. lots of thin coats is better than one thick coat. If you get bugs let the paint cure first then pick the bugs off I also used a cheap HVLP spray gun it actually came out pretty good for my first aluminum boat. Figure on a couple weeks of prep and cure time on the paint before you put it in the water.

Thank you for taking the time to reply!! I am working on a fiberglasss boat ,thats is why I am concerned if you can use a pressure washer or stripper on it
Thanks

Back