Logo

!992 Evinrude water tube problem

tanman34fl

Been working on my old 1992 evinrude 120. When you ran it the water pump was very weak at idle but was much better when you gave it some gas, on the water*hose. Shooting like 3 feet. Decided to change water pump since ive never did it. Got it a part and noticed that where the water tube goes into the plastic water pump housing was gashed up pretty good. Like whoever did this the last time missed the plastic and caught it in the edge. Where they tigtened it down it cut into the plastic.*Everything seemed smooth put it back together with new housing and all. Tried to lign up as best as possible. Got together and tried it and it didnt work as well as it did before. Took it back apart and inspected everything a little closer. I found that it looks like my water tube looks, like it has been broken off a little bit. And the tip is cracked and splintered. Had an older 85 that had some guide tubes for the water tube. So i was able to take a piece of 1/2 id rubber hose from homedepot and slid it on the tube, then It fit tightly down in the water pump housing. Got it all back together and it seems to be working ok.* Not pumping as hard as I thought it would, and i got lots of water coming out around where the foot bolts up. I relly think that the water tube going up towards the engine needs to be replaced. Can anyone help me with the process for removing it. I am sure it wont be easy. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Steve

Sometimes you can just pull the water tube out of the upper grommet and replace. Some tubes have a lip on them where you have to pull rhe power head to replace. Not sure what you have so maybe somebody else will chime in with more info.

Back