Logo

95 Evinrude 115 ran without water

95evinrude115

I ran my 95 Evinrude 115 with water muffs but the muffs accidentally fell off without me noticing it. The engine stopped on its own with visible smoke coming from the top. I was not able to restart it. What kind of damage is suspected here and what should I do to diagnose and repair it?

Look for wires melted near the cylinderheads.-------------How long did it run ?---------Compression test never hurts on one of those motors either.

i had a guy run my 88(same engine) hot like that...the very first thing to do is compression test before spending any money on it...if the compression is good then wiring will probably be the only thing to repair...maybe head gaskets...retorgue the heads any time a motor gets hot...if i remember the book calls for 20 pounds on this with a recheck after running....do 22 to start with and the recheck will be right on.. dont forget water impeller..it will need replacing also... depending on how hot it got some of the wiring may be welded to the heads or block... if the compression on any cylinder is out more than 10% then pull the heads and eyeball the walls...why didnt the alarm go off...are the sensors disconnected?

i had a guy run my 88(same engine) hot like that...the very first thing to do is compression test before spending any money on it...if the compression is good then wiring will probably be the only thing to repair...maybe head gaskets...retorgue the heads any time a motor gets hot...if i remember the book calls for 20 pounds on this with a recheck after running....do 22 to start with and the recheck will be right on.. dont forget water impeller..it will need replacing also... depending on how hot it got some of the wiring may be welded to the heads or block... if the compression on any cylinder is out more than 10% then pull the heads and eyeball the walls...why didnt the alarm go off...are the sensors disconnected?

Just did a compression test on all cylinders: 70, 100, 95, 100

One of the cylinders is out and needs head gasket service. Since the head gaskets come in pairs, do I replace the pair affected or replace both?

Different models in 1995 !!------One uses o-rings to seal the heads / cylinders( 4 in total )-----and the older style cross flow uses 2 head gaskets.----Remove heads to inspect and replace seals and gasket found there !

Back