Logo

1964 evinrude 40 h.p. Model # 40452s

Jeff Searle

hI ALL, iM NEW HERE, AND i HAVE SEEN SOME VERY INTERESTING POSTS AND LEARNED ALOT. I JUST PICKED UP A 1973 INVADER 16' TRI-HULL, AND IT HAS THIS MOTOR ON IT, THIS UNIT HAS BEEN SITTING A WHILE. i GOT IT TO START AND IT RUNS WELL, HOWEVER THE CONTROL CABLES ARE IN NEED OF REPAIR (THE THROTTLE CONTROL CABLE IS BROKEN). BUT MY QUESTION IS.....SHOULD i NOT BE ABLE TO MOVE THE SHIFTER ON THE MOTOR ITSELF BY HAND WHILE THE MOTOR IS OFF? OR IS IT ELECTRIC AND WILL ONLY SHIFT WHEN THE MOTOR IS RUNNING? i GUESS MY WUESTION WOULD BE THE SAME FOR THE THROTTLE CABLE...AND HELP AND INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. AS I SAID IM USED TO SMALLER MOTORS WITH NO CONTROLS SO IM UNSURE OF SOME THINGS, ALSO AFTER I START THE MOTOR, AND TURN THE IGNITION KEY OFF, THE MOTOR STILL RUNS? ANY PARTICULAR CAUSE FOR THIS THAT IS EASILY FIXED? THANKS AGAIN!

JEFF

at one point, the I could not move the prop but the engine was still in neutral (at least I assume itwas still in neutral, since it was turning over) . now that I have gotten it started and running, the prop moves freely, When I bought it I was given an extra set of cables and controls, so I am in the process if switching them out now, will see what happens after that, as far as the ignition switch, I will print the diagrams from the links, and compare. thanks for your help

Perhaps the throttle is advanced and if so, that would cause the armature plate iunder the flywheel to turn which has a shift lock out built into it.... observe the vertical shift lever that runs up to that area.

Other than that, assuming the engine shifts okay when running, the propeller needs to be spun when attempting to shift when it is not running in order for the shifter dog lobes and gear lobes to line up properly.

Joereeves, following the vertical rod up from the shifter, I can see the plate, and there are some notches in it, and the verticle rod is set into one of the notches, so now, how do I get it out, and what is it's normal position?\, and how do I get it there? Thanks again..

Joereeves, following the vertical rod up from the shifter, I can see the plate, and there are some notches in it, and the verticle rod is set into one of the notches, so now, how do I get it out, and what is it's normal position?\, and how do I get it there? Thanks again..

Retard the throttle to have the armature plate rotate to a neutral position. The term "normal" varies with what mode the engine is in. Idle for example would be to have the throttle retarded to a point whereas the engine would run at a low rpm without stalling.

Check with your local library to see if they might have service manuals for that engine so that you can study and pick up on the small stuff.

so, Ive aquired a johnson RD-22 WHICH IS A 1960 40 H.P., FRON THE OUTSIDE THEY LOOK IDENTICLE, MY QESTION IS IS DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THEY ARE IDENTICLE ON THE INSIDE? THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP

Back