Logo

How do i lift motor support bracket?

wassajet

Contributing Member
Hi, i have just purchased a boat with a 1978 55hp. Johnson outboard model #55el78s .This motor doesn't have a power trim tilt so i have to tilt it by hand.I can lift the motor ok but i have to reach down to the bottom of the outside of the transom to lift up the motor support bracket so that i can lock it to keep the motor up.I find i can't hold the motor up & reach down for the bracket at the same.Can anyone help me with this problem please ?

Look at the parts breakdown under "exhaust housing" Items # 34,48,21,98,25 the handel should be under the lower engine cowling. It should also move with little effort. If your like me and not as strong and flexible as I was in my youth. Then go to the accessories page of this site and there are two options, 1) a motor Tilter by Garekick for $67.99 USD, or CMC Electric Hydraulic trim system pn# 13002 $663.18. But this is just my thoughts there are other in this forum that may have a lot better advice and help for you.

Hope this helps

Look at the parts breakdown under "exhaust housing" Items # 34,48,21,98,25 the handel should be under the lower engine cowling. It should also move with little effort. If your like me and not as strong and flexible as I was in my youth. Then go to the accessories page of this site and there are two options, 1) a motor Tilter by Garekick for $67.99 USD, or CMC Electric Hydraulic trim system pn# 13002 $663.18. But this is just my thoughts there are other in this forum that may have a lot better advice and help for you.

Hope this helps
Thanks for your quick reply. All the above mentioned parts are present & working on my motor but they are for locking the motor support bracket,they have nothing to do with lifting the the bracket itself, they just lock it in place after it has been lifted. My problem is trying to hold the tilted motor in place whilst i reach down to water level to lift the bracket into place so that i can lock it, i just can't reach the bracket when i'm holding the motor in the tilted position.

the lever knob for the tilt and reverse lock is right at the top of the stern bracket...that shouldnt be at water level!!! if it is that means your transom is almost under water!!!!! the water should be 6-10" away depending on the transom height...

you have a 20" transom, so the water level really shoud not be anywhere near that lever.

I know where tilt & reverse lock handle is & you're correct it isn't at water level but that wont lock the motor in the tilted position unless i lift the motor support bracket (which the bottom of it is at water level) and position the bracket in the grooves on the motor where the motor is supposed to be seated.My problem is as i stated earlier in the post i can't hold the motor up and lift the motor support bracket at the same time and if i could i would then have to remove my right hand from the bracket to engage the tilt & reverse lock handle & when i do that the motor support bracket just drops back down to where it was & i'm back where i started from, remembering while all this is going on my left arm is still holding the motor up.

tehn I think you might be missing a spring.....once you tilt the motor a certain distance, and have move the tilt -reverse handle....when the motor reaches the tilt lock height the spring pulls that long slotted part into the 90 degree cut it has and that locks the motor..... you dont have to reach down and pull it in place... thats what i remember about using them...and if you look at the exploded diagrams you will see the long part with the slot and the 90 degree groove in the slot at one end and you should see the springs.... thats how your lock works

good luck

viejito

http://www.ebay.com/itm/319134-Tilt..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item43af45f360&vxp=mtr
There is a part that looks like this on the port side that will hold it in the tilted position pull the engine up all the way until it stops and it should automatically lock I believe. Spray all the pivot points with WD or PB for the reverse lock mechanism and get it working correct it looks like you use the reverse lock lever to release or enguage the tilt lock. Once you find it you will figure out how it works. Yea that makes me cringe thinking your trying to latch the travel lock bar while holding the engine and bobbing around. If the engine falls kiss a finger or your hand goodbye be careful.

I would like to thank all of you for your help in solving my problem. I found the part that locks the motor when tilted & after a good spray & clean it works perfectly. I feel a bit dumb for not having been able to work it out for myself & thanks to you guys i still have both of my hands & all of my fingers.

Thats great wassajet! Sorry didn't mean to leave you hanging work got overly crazy, now just normaly crazy, and I know what you mean sometime the simplest things drive me up the wall.

Back