Logo

1992 60 evinrude has no spark

FredCombs

Hello all, first time poster here. I am usually good about fixing engine problems myself but this one has me stumped. At times my motor has no spark going to all three cylinders. This has happened a few time since I have been getting the boat ready for spring. It has fired a few times but the past two days no spark. Spark has been checked with inline spark tester as well as holding plug against block. This happened a few years back and I disconnected kill switch and it solved the problem. I tried that yesterday and still no spark. I have gotten on CID electronics and downloaded their troubleshooting guide. All of the ohm measurements are within spec but I do not have a fancy meter to read the voltage, just a cheap multi tester. What should my next step be. Could it be the pack? Stator? Are there any other things I can check before I take it to a mechanic for him to sort out. Just trying to rule out before I take it in. My gut tells me power pack but I do not want to order one if that's not the issue. Thanks for any help you can provide.

thanks guys i have disconnected kill wire and still no spark. i have also disconneected yellow wires to rectifier and still no spark. my suspicion is power pack but that is just a guess. stator ohms are within recommended range, i just have to check voltage when i get home this afternoon. this is like chasing down a needle in a haystack. is there a way to test to make sure it is not a problem at the key switch?

Hello again everyone. First off thanks for being patient with me. I did all of the tests on the cdi electronics site. Here is what I found. Black yellow wire disconnected, still no spark. Disconnected rectifier leads, still no spark. 800 ohms from brown to brown yellow wire. Dva output from stator showed good voltage. 18 volts from orange to orange black wire. Blue to white, purple to white, green to white, blue to Orange blue, purple to orange, and green to orange green. All of the following passed spec for ohms and voltage. What is this telling me? Got all of the readings now I do not know how to pinpoint what is wrong lol

ok here is an update. i deceided to try pulling the black yellow wire one more time from the powe rpack to see what would happen. motor fired right up. only thing is I was not able to shut engine off with the key, I had to choke the engine to get it to stop. so where does this now lead me. what is my next step

A slow cranking motor will have a no spark condition. I would inspect the starter motor.----A simple ohm test on the armature will tell if it is any good or not.---Easy to take apart for new brushes too.--------Easy to put back together and requires a piece of sheet metal with a slot cut in it.--------Could be the cause of intermittent spark condition.-----A warmer day and your battery might have just have that little extra for it to work properly.

Good morning Fred, I see you have had luck in starting for you this time. Sorry didn't get back to you yesterday but got caught up with work. The reason I asked for your model and serial #s was to make sure you had a 1992 60 Evinrude. I kind of remembered from years back that in the early 90's, the 60 to 70 hp engine ignitions had somewhat been changed or something added to it, a new feature called Quickstart. Your motor is not a 1992, it is a 1993 60hp Evinrude and a 1992 model doesn't have quickstart but a 1993 does. All three components, power pack, stator, and timerbase are different between 92 and 93 with the motor you have. With quickstart on the motor it adds one more thing to rule out when theres a problem. I do have test procedure for this engine if you would like it? Thanks Steve

Hey guys sorry late getting back. I did have luck in starting it multiple time and trips then last weekend no fire again. Checked all connections basically just made sure they were all tight and low and behold it started again. Engine seems to be idling rough. Really not sure what to check next. Another thing, when I do start it, even after warmed up, I have to choke it to get it to start.

thanks guys I will give that a try. with this spark issue being intermittant I am wanting to eliminate the key switch as the problem. does anyone have test procedures for this?

Back