Logo

1988 Evinrude 25hp E25RCCA Hesitation during acceleration

Billyfish24

Hey folks. Spent a lot of time going through posts and couldn't find what I needed...thought it would be easier to ask. I have a 88 Rude E25RCCA. I bought it used and it wasn't running when I bought it. The things that stood out was a lot of oil coming out of the hub, and a lot of oil in the catch pan. I found the jet was at two and a half turns from seated, and the fuel filter was in poor shape. I bought a rebuild kit from this site for the carb. It didn't look too bad inside. Replaced needle and seat, and reset float at 3/4 inches travel. I put two new plugs in and set them at .34. Couldn't get a spark intermittently so took off the flywheel and cleaned underneath. Started getting a spark. Set the jet at 1.5 turns. It ran great for one trip. Next trip, it started smoking really bad at idle. As I accelerated, it was hesitating or bogging a bit. After RPMs had climbed, it was like the other cylinder started firing and it runs great at higher throttle. Thinking it was too rich, I adjusted the jet to 1 turn from seated. Same deal. Adjusted to 3/4 and same thing. Lots of smoke and hesitation during acceleration. Didn't lean it up any more than that because I didn't want to starve for oil. I used a timing gun to see if both plugs are firing at idle. They are. Seems like it is only hitting on one cylinder until I get rpms up. I don't understand how this could be fuel related since it only has one carb for both cylinders. Also don't see how it could be electrical if both plugs are firing. Is there something else I should look for? Any help would be appreciated.
I will mention that I am a self taught fixer upper so I could well be missing something more technical.

Did you remove the high speed jet that is screwed into the float bowl ?---It must be removed for proper cleaning.-----Use a timing light on both plugs and observe the flashing as you throttle up.--That will help you determine if it is an ignition / spark problem.

These checks should be done on flushing device or test tank, not in canal. If I remember correctly you should have a primer style choke system. You can pull it out and prime it, but don't push all the way back in (red ring can be seen on shaft of primer) because this is half choke for warming up your engine. After it warms up and when you leave dock you push all the way in for run position. Check and see if yours is in run position ( pushed all the way in ) or if could be leaking. Motor is not running for this test, look down throat of carb and prime your primer bulb, your needle and seat in carb should check the fuel. If you have fuel coming out of brass tube in throat of carb your needle is not checking the fuel which will create a rich running condition. Gravity can make it fuel related with one carb, the cylinder that is the lowest will get the excess fuel. Check your plugs to see which one is not right. Also set plugs at .030

Thanks Stevo. When I got home today, I pushed the primer in all the way...was not seated well. Without a manual, this thing has been a bear. Thanks to you...learned a little more. I was not aware this was a choke as well. I only thought it primed the carb. I will take it out Friday to see how it does after gapping the plugs. You might have it...that is what it acted like was a stuck choke or something. I didn't think it had one so I ruled that out way too early. I initially had a fuel flow problem I will share with the forum. I kept running dry of fuel in the filter. Wasn't sure but thought I had a leak in the hose. The guy I bought it from said it was a brand new hose. There were factory connectors at the bulb. On the inlet side, there was a plastic liner in the hose...I assume to make it resistant to ethanol fuel. The plastic liner had separated from the wall of the hose when the bulb connection was pushed into it. It had balled up in front of the inlet to the bulb and caused low fuel flow problem. Not sure if that will help, but sometimes even the new stuff is broken when you buy it.
Thanks again for the advice.

These engines might be a bit tricky in the synch system. If the carb opens a tad early, you will have this hesitation at acc.
Start by lowering the idle as low as possible, with the roller on carb not touching the cam. Adjust the mix needle until max rpm without changing the advance or any other setting. (Have the lower unit in a barrel to get some back-presure). If engine in good condition (comp etc), you should be able to get it down to around 650 in neutral. When max rpm is obtained, turn out the needle 1/2 turn. Adjust the roller so the carbs starts opening just as it passes the mark on the cam, NOT before!! Stop the engine in forward and give full throttle. Adjust the link stopper so the carb opens 99.9% at full throttle. Launch the boat, and set idle in forward around 850 rpm. Slowy increase throttle until around 1200. Engine should run smooth all the way. If not running clean between 850 to 1200, slightly delay the throttle opening (roller/mark), but not more that about 2 mm after the mark. Recheck the full throttle opening.
Do a test run.

Still haven't had a chance to get it to the water...I hate working when the fish are biting, but I don't want to eat fish every day either. Hopefully, it is the primer not closed all the way. I did take a look at it. It was not pushed in all the way, but I don't see the red you were talking about. There is a guide to functionality glued to the front of the lower pan just beside the knob...you can imagine that it might be a bit hard to decipher after 25 years.
This engine is struggling. The guy that had it before me obviously couldn't get it to run for multiple reasons. One of the coil wires was messed up. The power pack ground wire was corroded. The fuel problem I already mentioned. The carb was rebuilt but float travel was way off. When I got it, there was a half inch of oil in the hub and in the lower catch pan. She was gummed up pretty bad. The flywheel has a chunk missing from one side on the upper flange. It had no fire so I cleaned all of the gunk from under the flywheel. That is when I also found the bad ground and bad wires on the top coil. I wish I hadn't did so much at once because no I don't know which one to go back to.
Crazy thing is that it ran like a dream a few weeks back...then this problem surfaced. I hope it is nothing more than the plunger for the primer not being seated.
It idles fine, other than smoking and stumbling. Getting way too much fuel. I used 4 gallons of gas for around 45 minutes of run time on a 25hp. I figure the only other thing it could be is the reeds but since it ran fine a few weeks back, I have to think intermittent electrical or fuel. Thanks again for all the help. I will post an update as soon as I can get to Santee Cooper and wet a line.

When you go for a ride bring an extra set of plugs just in case, With all the extra fuel and oil you will have to run it and let it clean itself out. When you have it running pull the 2 primer hoses behind the carbs just to make sure the primer is not leaking when pushed all the way in the run position. When she's running like you want her to, get some engine tuner from the Evinrude dealer and treat the engine with it. If you never done it before I'll tell you how I use it and why. Thanks Steve

When you go for a ride bring an extra set of plugs just in case, With all the extra fuel and oil you will have to run it and let it clean itself out. When you have it running pull the 2 primer hoses behind the carbs just to make sure the primer is not leaking when pushed all the way in the run position. When she's running like you want her to, get some engine tuner from the Evinrude dealer and treat the engine with it. If you never done it before I'll tell you how I use it and why. Thanks Steve

Stevo, took out the plugs and cleaned them. Also gapped to .030 like you suggested. She runs like a dream again. I primed it and pulled the cord once. She stumbled for a second, then I pushed the primer in all the way. Motor ran perfectly. Had a little power fade at top end. I had the jet set at 1.5 turns from seated...backed her out another quarter and fixed the problem. I believe it definitely was the primer/choke. I was able to create a good bit of smoke and rough idle after I pulled it out slightly from seated...probably where it was the other day when it was running bad. I also think the advice on plug gap may have helped too. Thanks again for the help-

Back