Logo

140 lower unit replacement

Fatdaddy & Big Mamma

Contributing Member
Guys my lower unit is leaking water into but not out of it (at least not in the driveway). This is after I have install a new water pump and changed the gear oil. It's a 1987 140 hp 20" shaft. The skeg also has a piece missing. I plan to remove and inspect the unit for re-sealing/repair at that time I'll fix the skeg. But have anyone had any dealings with Sterndrive Engineering (SEI) units?

Thanks Steve

I used to work for a marine remanner. We would not deal with SEI units. I have heard gossip in the industry (true, not true no firsthand knowledge) that they will be replaced free of charge (for the part) only they have to be changed frequently and that the company has actually put a limit on the number of replacements. Beware. Do your homework.

Thanks Partner, have watched there adds over the years but don't know anyone that has tried them! And thanks again this is part of my homework. May not need to replace the unit but with my luck who knows. Hey you got a old smokie, belching 2-stroke I can have for parts! lol!!!:D

Thanks Again the OLD, SMOKIE, BELCHING LOW TECK GUY!
lOVE U BROTHER!!

In the past if water is getting in the seals under the water pump are the problem. A pressure and vacuum test on the gearcase will tell you what's up. It is best if you find leaking seal to reseal complete gearcase and do the pressure and vacuum test again to check the repair.

Thanks Stevo4g I plan to remove and run complete pressure amd vacuum test in a couple of weeks. The unit has been re-sealed just before I purchased the boat this last fall as well a the power head rebuilt, but with what I found up top and then changing the water pump and finding the SS ccup cracked and a piece missing! I'll pull the complete unit down for inspections and repairs. When it down and clean I'll fix the skeg and put it all back together.

Back