Logo

question....

shawnfish

Regular Contributor
i just noticed my motor does not have the terminal block and rectifier assembley. j25rcsa it did have electric start put on it when it was a few years old. i thought the rectifier was part of charging system( 5amps). why does mine not have these parts?? im just curious, there is no problem with motor...thanks.010 (640x480).jpg012 (640x480) (2).jpg

magic I guess.------What meter did you use?----Where did you measure the 5 amps ?-----Where was the meter hooked up ?----And what is the voltage on the battery terminals before starting.---What is the voltage on battery terminals with engine running at a fast idle ?

Last edited:
magic I guess.------What meter did you use?----Where did you measure the 5 amps ?-----Where was the meter hooked up ?----And what is the voltage on the battery terminals before starting.---What is the voltage on battery terminals with engine running at a fast idle ?

i used a multi meter, with the positive disconnected from the battery i hooked the meter up to the pos where it would connect to the battery.

The J25TECSA came with the stator your motor only has a coil and trigger for the CD. Check battery voltage before and after you start it up. To add the charging system you will need the stator, rectifier and terminal block.

i dont know.....ive seen my battery 11.5 volts and after running a while it reads 12.8 volts???????? and i can watch my voltage on the humminbird go up while running...

Does your ampmeter read 4 / 5 amps at full throttle.------Does your voltmeter read say 13.5 volts + when running at full throttle.-----Can you identify and post the colors of all the wires coming out of the stator from under the flywheel

Last edited:
Does your ampmeter read 4 / 5 amps at full throttle.------Does your voltmeter read say 13.5 volts + when running at full throttle.-----Can you identify and post the colors of all the wires coming out of the stator from under the flywheel

yes, between 4 and 5 amps and 13.5 or a little more volts at full throttle. there are 2 brown,1 tan and 1 black wires coming out from the stator ( blk/wht stripe,brown/yellow stripe,solid brown and tan/black stripe)

battery fully charged is 14.2 volts

Last edited:
A fully charged battery in good shape will read 12.7 or 12.8 when everything hooked up and the motor not running...what does the voltmeter read across the battery at this point with the motor not running?start the motor and run it up to 1500 rpm and let it run for a couple minutes and take the same reading from the negative post to the positive post on the battery...post these two readings...we dont care or need amp reading at this point...racer is trying to determine if you do have either a rectifier or a regulator on the motor..one other question...do you have a tach in the boat and is it working?

A fully charged battery in good shape will read 12.7 or 12.8 when everything hooked up and the motor not running...what does the voltmeter read across the battery at this point with the motor not running?start the motor and run it up to 1500 rpm and let it run for a couple minutes and take the same reading from the negative post to the positive post on the battery...post these two readings...we dont care or need amp reading at this point...racer is trying to determine if you do have either a rectifier or a regulator on the motor..one other question...do you have a tach in the boat and is it working?

fully charged and not running reads 14.2 on the voltmeter and the readout on the depth finder. i know from experience after a short run at 5mph or no wake it will read 12.8 on the meter and the depth finder. i do not have a tach that stays installed. i have a tiny tach for adjusting idle but i do not think it is very accurate unless you have it connected perfectly and by that i mean at idle the rpm's fluctuate about 200 rpm's give or take a little. i can run the battery down to 10 volts and use my rope start and run at 2/3 0r 3/4 throttle and watch the voltage rise back above 12 volts. that usually takes about 20-30 minutes of running at that throttle.....

As no leads are hooked onto the B+ at the solenoid from rectifier or anything else, you do not have battery charging!! However if your starter pinion stays engaged to the flywheel while running ?????????
14.2 Volts fully charged and not running, sounds like a battery from a 'Dreamliner'!!

As no leads are hooked onto the B+ at the solenoid from rectifier or anything else, you do not have battery charging!! However if your starter pinion stays engaged to the flywheel while running ?????????
14.2 Volts fully charged and not running, sounds like a battery from a 'Dreamliner'!!

the pinion does not stay engaged. and i promise you that something is putting out voltage. my battery is an MK sealed gel cell battery designed for wheelchairs and carts for people who have trouble walking. and i also promise you that when i put it on the charger the digital reading says 14.2 volts when finished and ive used two different chargers with the same result. here in the next day or two i will run the battery down and take a pic of it on the charger reading 14.2 volts, and i dont know if you can post videos on here but i will put my battery on the motor with 10.5 volts and start it manually and run and show the meter showing the voltage getting higher till it reaches 12.8 volts and the reading on the depth finder saying the same thing. and then if you still think its a dreamliner battery and that the motor is not charging then you will be as confused as me as far as how its charging. and the battery reads the 14.2 volts even after its disconnected from the charger...

Last edited:
ok i just read that the peak charging voltage for gel cell batteries is 14.1 to 14.4 volts so maybe thats why the charger is reading 14.2 volts when fully charged. and i did state above that after a short time running at no wake speed that the voltage will drop to 12.8 volts . just so you know i wasnt claiming that i had some battery made by god. but the motor charging the battery is fact as i will show anybody who wants to look in the next couple days and when i do maybe god will be the only one who can explain as to how its charging.... oh i read the charging voltage data on chargingchargers.com if anyone wants to look.

there are the neg and positive leads connected to the solenoid and i will check tomorrow but i beleive there are two other wires that run from the solenoid and are connected to something. i think you can see them in the pic above.......

Post a picture of the components under the flywheel !!!---------That will likely bring and end to the confusion / lesson.------The 2 small posts on the solenoid have wires.---------One is a ground and the other would be connected at the key switch and applies 12 volts to energize the solenoid.----That is what makes the solenoid complete the cranking circuit ( big posts ) when key is turned to crank position.------Check that out with your ohmeter if you like !

Last edited:
i dont think he has any charging at all...i think the recovery he is seeing from 10.5 volts to 12.8 is caused by looking and seeing 10.5 when the battery is under a load such as a starter and the going back to 12.8 is without load and normal recovery of the battery... in fact at 10.5 the battery was putting out some good current..i dont think it ever read 10.5 without a load...the fact is he never sees anything above 12.8 consistently unless he uses an external charger..to verify this please go back and do exactly what i recommended in my prior entry... if you find that the voltage is going above 13v and is charging and there are no yellow wires coming from the stator then i would suspect that whoever installed the electric start did some additional wiring with the ignition output from the stator...trace these wires and look carefully for a rectifier which is probably under tape somewhere...this would be a no no in my book...

if a battery is charged using an external charger and the charging continues after the battery is fully charged then some batteries will read above 12.8 when the charger is disconnected for a short time...thats that 14.2v your are seeing...some batteries may maintain that reading for a longer time..for test purposes ignore that reading...you are only interested in seeing if the battery is charging at a reading of 12.8v maximum before you start the engine.. starting the engine and running and seeing the battery go from 14.x to 12.8 says you are not charging...

There is absolutley NO battery charging system on that engine. If there was, it would require a rectifier which would be located in the round hole you see in the starboard manual starter support bracket (picture #1). Any increase in battery voltage is due to the nature of the battery itself...

Case in point = Any battery (and we've all encountered this) that might have failed, turn the key and the engine turns over slow then... nothing! Let the battery sit awhile, the voltage increases somewhat. There's no mystery here.

i dont think he has any charging at all...i think the recovery he is seeing from 10.5 volts to 12.8 is caused by looking and seeing 10.5 when the battery is under a load such as a starter and the going back to 12.8 is without load and normal recovery of the battery... in fact at 10.5 the battery was putting out some good current..i dont think it ever read 10.5 without a load...the fact is he never sees anything above 12.8 consistently unless he uses an external charger..to verify this please go back and do exactly what i recommended in my prior entry... if you find that the voltage is going above 13v and is charging and there are no yellow wires coming from the stator then i would suspect that whoever installed the electric start did some additional wiring with the ignition output from the stator...trace these wires and look carefully for a rectifier which is probably under tape somewhere...this would be a no no in my book...

i would see 10.5 volts with the motor off and nothing running off the battery except for the fish finder, then after starting the motor and running thats when i would see the voltage slowly start to rise . i have never got the voltage to go higher than 12.8 volts with the motor running, the only time i see 14.2 volts is when its finished charging and still connected to the charger and for a few seconds after starting the motor at wich time it drops to 12.8 its way too cold to take it outside today to show the voltage increase while its running but i will go out shortly and snap some picks of all the wiring and post them here in a bit. also i have another regular(non gel cell) battery that reads 12.8 when fully charged and that reading does not drop any until after the motor is off and i run the trolling motor or electronics at with point it will slowly start to drop and when i reach 10.5 volts i start the motor and run until i see 12.8 volts same as i do with the gel cell.. ive always heard that if you let your battery get below 10.5 volts before charging that it shortens battery life. why the one drops from 14.2 to 12.8 and the other starts at 12.8 and stays until the motor is off is beyond me, i dont know much about sealed agm,gel cells etc....

Perhaps you want to ask your questions on ----iboats------The forum there will maybe get you the answer you want to hear.

There is absolutley NO battery charging system on that engine. If there was, it would require a rectifier which would be located in the round hole you see in the starboard manual starter support bracket (picture #1). Any increase in battery voltage is due to the nature of the battery itself...

Case in point = Any battery (and we've all encountered this) that might have failed, turn the key and the engine turns over slow then... nothing! Let the battery sit awhile, the voltage increases somewhat. There's no mystery here.

well ive never seen the voltage rise one bit after everything is off....when it gets a bit warmer im gonna go out and make a video showing my multimeter readind 4-5 amps from the pos cable when the motor is running and 0 amps when not running. and i understand 110% that the charging system requires a rectifier. thats why i started this thread because its always baffled me that its charging and i wanted to know how this is possible....now i know you guys say that it is in fact impossible but after you see my video you will be scratching your heads like i have been. i would not have been on here saying any of this if i wasnt 110% sure that it does indeed charge, im not an idiot! oh and racer, it has the two key switch wires to complete the loop and a wire going to the neutral start switch on the starboard side.

Perhaps you want to ask your questions on ----iboats------The forum there will maybe get you the answer you want to hear.

and id appreceiate it if you did not respond to my posts. i know you know ur s*** when it comes to OB's but i for one get sick and tired of your condescending attitude and the way you talk to people. just because 98% of the guys who have questions on here have not been working on these motors for 40 or 50 years like you have does not give you the right to be an A**HOLE and try to make them feel like idiots because they dont know what is second nature to you. you should read some of joe's and kims posts and maybe that will help you understand how normal people that are not pissed off at the world for some reason or another talk to people....i'll give ya a lil hint its called RESPECT!

i used a multi meter, with the positive disconnected from the battery i hooked the meter up to the pos where it would connect to the battery.

If indeed you did have a charging system on that engine, and with the engine running disconnect the battery cable from the battery, that would most certainly damage the diodes in the rectifier. With no charging system, that practice does no harm to a engine that incorporates magneto ignition.

However...... to do a voltage before and after type reading, the proper method is to have the volt meter connected across the battery terminals and take a reading, leave the meter hooked up and start the engine and observe the meter. If a charging system is operative, the voltage reading will increase.

Now, with no charging system being install on that engine, should the voltage increase anyway, I have no explanation for it and I susgest you contact a technician at Bombardier to see what they have to say.

Personally, I will blame Al Gore. :D

Last edited:
EASY, EASY Grashopper these men are telling you what is true, and of their experience and personal knowlage is a gift to you. Never, Never tell someone not to impart there knowlage to you, take it in and put it to use. These men are giving advice to us to steer us in the direction so we can fix our problems. And if you feel that someone makes you feel like a idiot that is a personal condition that you need to deal with. But if someone wants to make you feel incompetent then it should be your goal to show them otherwise. Now if someone just out-right called you a idiot or stupid then I believe you have the right to rant about it. Personally i'm at the stage of life I like people to think I'm a idiot and go through great lenghts to propitiate that interpretation of myself. It keeps the needy folks at bay.

OK now to your post, we all know what is needed for a NORMAL system to work. And I for one believe you have the mechanical ability to figure it out. However I don't think we are all coming over to your place this weekend to BBQ drink beer and work on your motor, go back through all your test, Check the system with a different meter (is the battery good in yours you can get some funny stuff with a week battery) Forget about the amps and the voltage on the fish finder. Trace all the wires out completely, do not take anything for granted if you do it will bite you on the rear. Do you have a service manual if so make use of it to help with your quest. I know you'll figure it out and let us know what is going on with your motor, which will en-lighten all of us.

However it your charging can not be explained and you say your motor is running fine you may just have to let this one go. Although I for one don't believe in the devils triangle, Big foot or space aliens. But Santa Clause and the tooth fairy I have proof! Once you figure it out it would behoove you to make nice, nice with racerone as he is just trying to help you.

Racerone, patience, patience. Now Joe don't blame Al Gore he invented this thing the internet don't your remember. However I do think Al Gore is a Idiot, now that,s not a political opinion, or a personal attack on the man it's just my personal opinion of the man.

So anyhow i would like to personaly thank all who post tech advise on this site directly to my threads and to the others as I read as many as possible and try to glean some sort of knowlage from them to use with my problems!

Back